Pointy bits on Angel tail?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've been wondering about the long, slender bits at the top and bottom of Eddy's tail fin and whether they have a purpose. I thought that not all Angels had them and assumed that Colin didn't because I thought his tail had fully recovered from fin rot. Apparently he still had some healing to do and I'm starting to see little spikes growing on his tail! I've also noticed them on his anal fin. I'm so excited to find out what he looks like in his full glory;D

So...do those little spikes have a purpose? Or is it just decorative?

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I am sure they are just decorative. :) Usually you see that more on veil tail angels. But I have a couple standard finned angels that developed that "look"

When angels lose their fins and they grow back, sometimes they end up having tips that grow longer off their anal and dorsal fins like what I think you are describing on the anal fin....I don't know how to describe it but I think we are talking about the same thing.

How about a picture :)

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Best I could do. Eddy has always had long thread like points growing off his tail and I've tried taking pictures of those before with no success. Colin's have only just started to grow but I managed to get a fairly clear shot of the top one! It's shorter than the bottom but at least you can see it:)

IMG_20160609_074721865.jpg

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

The proper name for those is caudal filament.

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks AlyeskaGirl! That helps a lot, I can now look it up! Already found a book from 1890 about the purpose of them but still looking for newer studies:)

6. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

A book from 1890??? You do your research :)

7. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Google books, ftw;)

8. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Please share results as I wonder about the same thing. My gold marble angel has them and it's just one of many things that make him that much more gorgeous.