PM Before 50 Posts?

PodusMacro

Off-Topic

HI Mike, Last month I received a PM from you entitled "Welcome to the FishLore Forum!" I have tried to reply but am denied access until I have posted 50 messages. It's unfair to receive PM's but not be able to reply to PM's. New members on this forum can send 50 worthless messages in an hour and then be granted PM privileges, however I would rather send 50 quality messages over the course of a couple months. New members are also prohibited from posting on the Buy, Sell, Trade, Free supposedly "to help limit SPAM and members just signing up to sell stuff." I would like to have permission to contact members who are selling fish, snails, plants, etc. Please grant me this. Thank you.

Mike

Sorry but that rule is in place for a few different reasons to protect all of us. To help protect sellers from potential issues with new members that just signed up to buy stuff. Another big reason is because we had a new member/spammer send out really inappropriate PM's to the forum (many years ago).

If a new member is trying to jack their post count most of the members and mods here would call attention to it and the mod team would handle it.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore
I'll echo Mike's comments and add:

- The introduction PM is an automated message to help guide new members around the forum. With the exception of Mike, no member (including moderators) is able to send a PM to 'non-qualified' member. So it's not a case of receive but can't reply.

- Buy/Sell/Trade/Free: This rule is unlikely to change, HOWEVER, the Aqua Swap trading area is open to all members to BUY, however 50 posts are required to post something for sale/trade.

- Jacking post counts: believe me, the moderators will typically spot this behaviour very quickly, and the issue will be dealt with appropriately (and in some cases, result in permanent banning). It is also worth noting that to prevent some of the post jacking, both the Forum Games and Welcome to Fishlore forums do not add to post count.

To paraphrase a great movie "Fishlore rules of engagement exist for your safety and for that of our community"

PodusMacro

... Buy/Sell/Trade/Free: This rule is unlikely to change, HOWEVER, the Aqua Swap trading area is open to all members to BUY, however 50 posts are required to post something for sale/trade. ...

Are you sure? How? I attempted to reply to this post:

But receive: PodusMacro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

And I cannot PM the author of that post

matsungit

Are you sure? How? I attempted to reply to this post:

But receive: PodusMacro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

You were at the BSTF area.

This is the Aqua Swap area.

Anders247

Just wanted to say that it really doesn't take too long to get to 50 posts, you can easily get there without spamming, back-to-back posting or whatnot by posting comments on question threads that you can help with, picture threads, or by sharing your tank(s), etc.

mattgirl

oh my goodness, I just joined last night and I will probably always be a newby 'Specially since I don't really talk that much. The last forum I joined only required 5 but I do understand that rules are rules.

It is such a shame that one person caused this rule to become necessary. Just goes to show that one person can make a difference.

BTW: Thank you for letting me join this community. Even though I have kept fish for a very long time I have learned a lot from this site.

I may very well have been a member here years ago but I just couldn't remember for sure so set up a new account.

aliray

oh my goodness, I just joined last night and I will probably always be a newby 'Specially since I don't really talk that much. The last forum I joined only required 5 but I do understand that rules are rules.

It is such a shame that one person caused this rule to become necessary. Just goes to show that one person can make a difference.

BTW: Thank you for letting me join this community. Even though I have kept fish for a very long time I have learned a lot from this site.

I may very well have been a member here years ago but I just couldn't remember for sure so set up a new account.

Not to hijack , but just wanted to say a quick welcome to the forum. Alison

PodusMacro

okay I got 50 but still being hit with:

PodusMacro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

open the gates now pls!

Anders247

okay I got 50 but still being hit with:

PodusMacro, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

open the gates now pls!
I'm pretty sure it takes the forum a little while to realize that you have 50 posts and sufficient privileges.

chromedome52

Leave the site and reload. That was what I had to do, otherwise it is locked into your status when you last logged in.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Aquaricky
Replies
Views
Tigursevin79
Replies
Views
cmid21
Replies