plz solve my problem

1. trueeyes Initiate Member

i like 2 much beta/fighter fish.bt when i purchase it it servive only 5 to 10 days after it die plz tell me what happend? i live in pakistan .the shop keeper says it have naturly very short live is it true? plz tell me the setup for beta fish and my 2nd prob is that i purchase a pair pf naja fish aproximetly 1 week before bt they cant eat food what can i do?

and tell me also that naja need heter or not ?i mean to say that naja required hot water or it can servive in cold water?

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore trueeyes.
    What size tank was the betta in? how long was it set up for? bettas live at the most for 4 years...

3. trueeyes Initiate Member

it is 4 feet long and its hight 2 feet and width 18 inch and it was set up 6 month before all other fishes are in good position and servive bt beta cant :(

and thnxx 4 welcome :)

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Wow, that is a large tank then... I wouldnt put a betta in such a large tank. Simply because the betta would struggle going up for air. How many fish are in the tank and what kind are they?

5. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

Hello trueeyes. Welcome to the forum. :)

I'm sorry about your betta, though. :( It may be as Tony suggested, that the betta had to swim too far to reach the surface to breathe. 5-10 gallon tanks are a better size for one betta because they need to swim to the surface to breathe air. They also don't get along well with other fish, so it's best to keep them in their own tank.

Did it look like it had been injured? Were any scales missing or any bits of tale or fin missing? I'm not familiar with some of the fish you own, but it's possible one of them may have attacked the betta.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore :)
    I'm sorry for you loss.
    It's hard to tell what happened in hind sight. As said above, most bettas don't do well in a community tank. Once place to look is compatibility issues.
    Here's our Betta Care Guide
    Hope it helps.

7. trueeyes Initiate Member

thnxx all of u for helping me.i bought a new small aquriam and put some siglet small size can i put beta with siglets?

8. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure what you're referring to...
    Have you cycled your tank?

9. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry, I don't know what a siglet is.
    Do you mean cichlid? If so, I'm sorry, but no, they're not at all compatible with a betta.
    As said above, most bettas don't make good community fish.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore.
    Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Your tank has ammonia from the waste of nthe fish, leftover food, etc. There is beneficial bacteria living on the surface of your gravel and filter media that eats the ammonia, changing it to nitrite. Another beneficial bacteria converts that into nitrates.

Any amount of ammonia or nitrites can be deadly to fish. A small amount of nitrates are fine (5-20). Once your tank is cycled, it means you have enough benefical bacteria growing to eat all the ammonia and nitrites, making your tank a healthy place to live. Your readings should be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 5-20 nitrates.

A good liquid test kit can help you keep your tank water healthy. I use the API master test kit, but I don't know what is available in Pakistan. There are a few members on this forum from India, maybe they will know?

The bettas live for way more than 10 days. In healthy water conditions. they can live for many years.
    I know the betta care guide suggests bettas need their own tank. Is there any way you could cycle a tank and only keep one betta in it? They need wide instead of a tall living area, because they need to be able to reach the top of the tank easily.

Enjoy our website. You have listed some fish I am not familiar with, it would be wonderful to see pictures. I am so envious of your 90 gallon tank!

11. trueeyes Initiate Member

thnxxx momybaby thnxxalot dear

12. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Hi!
    Fighters can live for years. They prefer to be on their own, they tend to be loners. Welcome to the forum!

13. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :sign0016:

Everyone's got you covered. Hope you can get your fish moved in soon and everything goes well. Keep us updated! Best of luck! :;hf

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TrueEyes and Welcome to Fish Lore. Sorry to hear that you lost your Betta. Great tips and suggestion in the above posts.
    I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

15. trueeyes Initiate Member

thnxxx alot can any1 tell me that guppy and platy servive with small size siglet?

16. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TrueEyes. If "siglet" is the same as cichlid then I have to answer your question with no. Cichlids are best kept with other cichlids. I don't think it would be a good idea to house guppies and platties with cichlids as they would probably become a meal for them.
    Ken