Plz Help With Snail Issue

Alienfish05

Reaction score
So today i found 3-4 small baby snails. No clue at all how they got in my tank. Im a beginner so i dont know a ton about tanks or snails in general. The only thing i can think of is that a couple months back i got some live plants from petco.

I also am Seeing something in my heater (maybe it was there when i got it??) they are small pink balls at the bottom of the heater.

Any help with snail identification and what i should do would be helpful thank u!

Attachments

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Greetings and welcome to Fishlore

You my friend have been "blessed" with bladder snails.

You can get a trap, pick them out one at a time, get assassin snails or just live with them.

Alienfish05

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the quick reply!! I do have a red racer nerite that id like to keep so I'm guessing the assassin is out of the question?? I don't know anything about traps but i can do some googling. I don't mind additional snails... However are these the type than quickly overrun and take over your tank? Im just not sure. How to best go about resolving it.. I currently have an adult molly.. A few danios.. One tetra that survived the battle with ich.. And the nerite red racer. Would u suggest trap or tank changes or manual extraction?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah the assassins are out. The best way to control them is an out right attack. Trap, pick them out and do your best to remove their food source. Meaning keeping the aquarium spotless. The little monsters got into the 150, 44 and the 37 gallon guppy aquarium. I have assassins in with the guppies but the other aquariums have my mysteries. I tried picking them out 2-3 times a day and after 2 months I gave up.

Alienfish05

Reaction score
Oh gawd... As. Far as traps.. Ive heard lettuce traps?? Ill have to research that more. Last question i have for ya is.. Are those eggs in my heater at the bottom or is that part of the heater (i didnt look at the heater closely at all when setting up lol)?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People use lettuce and then take it out in the morning along with the snails. There are proper traps that are said to work but I have never used one.

I do not think they are eggs. But.........

An assassin. Cute in a scary sort of a way
_MG_8007-Edit.0.jpg

Alienfish05

Reaction score
Insanity thanks for the reply.. Are yoyos ok in a 25 gallon? Idk if anywhere local has em but ill do some checking.. Will the loach get along ok with other fish?

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Loaches aren't good with shy fish like Gouramis, but I think that's the minimum tank size. They do like schools but can school with other fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom