Plz help me clarify about cleaning driftwood!?

2absolute2purity2

i have about a medium foot long size piece in the shape of cut firewood, piece of driftwood. I bought it at a local pet store a while ago but i had it in the 75 gal totally fine freshwater aquarium for my goldfish and im still hesitant from the videos ive seen on youtube about how to clean it... cuz it got these lil white spores all over it after like a month or 2. cant remember and my brain is fried from exhaustion but i wanna get this done. is it really as simple as get a dedicated pot boil it submerged for 20 min dump out the water and then repeat process 3 times and then rinse it off and let it dry then put it back in the tank?

i dont really have a dedicated abrasive brush rn only a couple bamboo ones i use for my dishes.

plz help me clarify and plz be detailed. If you have a link to a youtube vid also that helped u id appreciate it also ty!

EdieBadedie

i have about a medium foot long size piece in the shape of cut firewood, piece of driftwood. I bought it at a local pet store a while ago but i had it in the 75 gal totally fine freshwater aquarium for my goldfish and im still hesitant from the videos ive seen on youtube about how to clean it... cuz it got these lil white spores all over it after like a month or 2. cant remember and my brain is fried from exhaustion but i wanna get this done. is it really as simple as get a dedicated pot boil it submerged for 20 min dump out the water and then repeat process 3 times and then rinse it off and let it dry then put it back in the tank?

i dont really have a dedicated abrasive brush rn only a couple bamboo ones i use for my dishes.

plz help me clarify and plz be detailed. If you have a link to a youtube vid also that helped u id appreciate it also ty!
I am guessing you are talking about biofilm, which is normal and harmless. You can just take it out and wipe it down if you want. Boiling it is fine too, but if it is biofilm it isn't necessary

Ellebrius

i had the same problem with my driftwood and was told it was a harmless bacteria and it will disappear on its own eventually. If you boil it it will come back anyway. Some snail like to munch on it as well. I just took mine out when it got too gross and washed it in a bucket of aquarium water. Did that a couple times then it went away. Hope this helps.

2absolute2purity2

I am guessing you are talking about biofilm, which is normal and harmless. You can just take it out and wipe it down if you want. Boiling it is fine too, but if it is biofilm it isn't necessary
Ty but how many times do u boil it? Also how often do u clean it per month or year?

EdieBadedie

Ty but how many times do u boil it? Also how often do u clean it per month or year?
Biofilm is only going to last a few months at most. It happens to new driftwood, but will not continue to come back. So, boil it whenever you see it if you are going that route, but it shouldn't always come back

JettsPapa

It may jump up and bite me some day, but I never boil it, and after putting it in the tank I never take it back out to clean.

kallililly1973

All we’ve ever done is let the pieces we used soak in hot water in a bucket for a day or two then rinse em off and add em to the tank and when it sinks we place them where we want

Ellebrius

I cleaned mine a couple of times and it lasted around a month and a half or two. Never came back since then.

2absolute2purity2

I cleaned mine a couple of times and it lasted around a month and a half or two. Never came back since then.
How did you clean it tho? Mines for a freshwater aquarium

Ellebrius

Mine is freshwater as well. I just scrubbed it with a cloth and small brush. Easy peasy!

JLDJ

I just take my driftwood out periodically and wipe it down with a paper towel..
whatever is not removed with that, I use a $3 finger nail brush to very gently scrub it..
Finally, I just quickly rinse it .with either declorinated or tank water. removed at a water changeI usually keep a gallon milk jug filled with removed tank water to be used for such things..

Keep in mind that good bacteria also lives on your driftwood so, be carfuul that you do not remove it all.

BTW... to the OP... .
All that initial boiling is to mainly boil out any tannin that will turn the water brown. Boiling also kills any parasites on it
If it is has already been in a tank, it most likely has no tannin left in it.
However a quick boil can be prudent just to make sure it has no parasites and is safe for your tank.
:)

mattgirl

I think you are way overthinking this. It's not like you walked out in the woods and cut this piece of wood off a tree. You bought it at a fish store. At one point you had it in a fish tank. If it has been out of water for a while it may take a little while for it to absorb enough water to sink. I don't think you need to do anything other than put it in water to let it sink. Hot water will help it sink faster. If it hasn't dried out just put it in your tank.

Did you happen to have a nerite snail in the goldfish tank you had this wood in? When you say little white spores it makes me think of nerite snail eggs. BTW: Once I put a piece of wood in my tank I never take it out to clean it. Elbert, that handsome fellow over there in my avatar takes care of keeping it as clean as it needs to be. Cleaning removes the bacteria that keeps the ammonia out of our tanks.

JettsPapa

I just take my driftwood out periodically and wipe it down with a paper towel..

Why?

ruud

If its typical hardwood used in the trade; then you dont need to clean it. Just hold it under (cold) tap water to wash off the dust and let is soak in a bucket until it sinks, and you're ready to place it in a tank. No need to take it out once in a while to clean it. There are loads of beneficial bacterias, algaes and little critters living in your wood, that makes any fish happy. In my main tank, wood sticks out from the water surface and houses fungi and even a few mushrooms. Yes, our house is really clean and thoroughly ventilated. The tank looks like a little forest inside our clean house.

JLDJ

For the same reason you clean other things in your tank... including the inside of the glass. :)

ruud

For the same reason you clean other things in your tank... including the inside of the glass. :)

Some people clean the inside of the glass (front panel only) to enjoy watching a beautiful Bucephalandra plant attached to a piece of wood, shrimps grazing on the wood, or a sparkling gourami spotting a copepod that is exploiting the biofilm on the wood (no, the biofilm will not disappear over time as is suggested in this thread).

If one would like to have a piece of wood AND a very clean-looking tank, I would suggest to leave the wood inside the tank and only take out the pieces falling of the wood over time.

JettsPapa

I clean the front glass so I can see inside (and only a few of the smaller tanks need even that). That's pretty much it.

JLDJ

I guess it all comes down to how lax one is about cleaning a tank.
It someone goes for a complete natural look, why even bother cleaning the front glass?

JettsPapa

I guess it all comes down to how lax one is about cleaning a tank.
It someone goes for a complete natural look, why even bother cleaning the front glass?

Saying one is "lax" about cleaning a tank makes it sound like he or she is just lazy, or failing to do something that should be done. Not everyone thinks a tank should be or needs to be squeaky clean.

I don't want to get into an argument about it, so this will be my last reply on the subject.

ruud

Some like tanks with "disco" substrate, plastic plants and doing a water change every week. That's fine. Others like natural substrates, wood, leaves, live plants and let organic matter decompose; not because of laziness or a disregard for the fishes' health, but out of enjoyment. What both groups have in common, is they both enjoy watching what's inside the tank; hence the clean front glass.

The latter group actually has the advantage of not having to clean the glass, or a lot less often, as algae is much easier to control. But cleaning it with a scraper is fine as well.

CheerGirl

Easiest thing to do, is soak it in a separate aquarium (if you have one)... that's what I do and works well. Sure gets slimy, and smelly.... however, nothing a quick water change and scrub with a dollar store plastic dish brush (aquarium use only) won't clean off.

Currently I have 2x nice 3-4 foot pieces of wild collected Driftwood (hard wood only) in a 45 gal tall breeder aquarium (36x24x12) sitting in my garage.... I weigh it down with a few old patio flagstones. They have been soaking since 2nd week of August and has lost about 2\3 of its buoyancy. so it only take 2 small bricks to keep it sunk now. once a week I drain the tank with an old sump pump into my flower beds and use my garden hose to fill it back up about 1\2 way or just until the wood is covered in 2-3 inches of water.

Also added a splash of White vinegar to help kill off any pests the 1st few weeks.

This method does take time, however I do find it is the best surefire way to leach out 85-90% of tannins as well let the slime (biofilm) grow and die off

JLDJ

Perhaps the definition of "lax" is in order....
Lax........
"Not sufficiently strict, severe, or careful".

It does not mean lazy and I never meant to imply that. :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ilovebarbslol
Replies
Views
aussieJJDude
Replies
Views
Dycofree
Replies
Views