Plz Help: Bn Plecos, Is This Ich?

ashleyt123
What's going on?
IMG_7420.JPG
IMG_7419.JPG Hello, I am brand new to this site and hoping for some direction. We have had BN plecos (L144 to be exact) for about a year. All females. We recently picked up a male and they instantly bred. The babies are now hatched, and they have a whole bunch of raised dots on them. I've read into ICH and see similarities, but none of the adults have it, nor do our spotted blue eyes. Please help. Thankyou for your time.

Mom2some
I don’t know. TexasDomer might.

ashleyt123
Albifrons
It looks like ich to me, but if none of the adults have it then that's a little weird.

TexasDomer
Definitely something wrong.

Can you give us more info? Tank size and tank mates? How many fry? Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

ashleyt123
Definitely something wrong.

Can you give us more info? Tank size and tank mates? How many fry? Water parameters? pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates
The tank is a 50 gallon tank.
The plecos tank mates are 2 spotted blue eyes (rainbow fish), and a bunch of cherry shrimp and ramshorns.
There is around 50 fry in the tank, we separated once hatched so there could be more.
Our water testing strips got ruined where you would read nitrates but ph is 6.8, Nirtite is 0, kh is moderate. The dots are still not present on any of the plecos or other inhabitants.

Albifrons
I would highly reccomend purchasing a liquid test kit, since they are more reliable and accurate than the test trips.

ashleyt123
I would highly reccomend purchasing a liquid test kit, since they are more reliable and accurate than the test trips.
Yes, that's a very good idea. I need to wait until weekend until I am able to get that. What would give them ICH? Poor water qualities? It's just strange because we have quite a few tanks and the only new addition to anything recently was the male pleco. But he doesn't have any spots on him at all, just the fry. Also one more bit of info, the fry didn't have any dots for the first few days after they were free swimming. They are roughly 5 days old, and started devolving the dots 2 days ago.

Mom2some
The best treatment for ICH is heat treatment. I have used to protocol provided somewhere on the fishlore forum successfully. Perhaps just the fr have it because they are weaker? I don't know if raising the temp would be a problem for fry... but I would at least read the treatment protocol. Sorry I don't know where to find it at the moment.

Ha - I found the link I was thinking of...
ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment
This walked me through the treatment. When my fish had ICH I only saw it on some of the fish, not all... so maybe your current result is similar?

B1GD4DDY
It is definitely possible for some inhabitants to contract Ich while others stay clear. Healthy, stress-free fish are usually able to fight it off without problem. The fry, being new to the world, are weak and easily susceptible to the infection. I recently went through Ich on 2 of my fish while the other 4 never showed any signs. I agree, the heat treatment is going to be your best bet and I wouldn't be surprised if you do end up losing some fry. To be clear, I just wanted you to be ready for that circumstance. If you do decide to use medication, be very careful to make sure there is no copper in it. Copper will be lethal to your inverts. Good luck!

ashleyt123
The best treatment for ICH is heat treatment. I have used to protocol provided somewhere on the fishlore forum successfully. Perhaps just the fr have it because they are weaker? I don't know if raising the temp would be a problem for fry... but I would at least read the treatment protocol. Sorry I don't know where to find it at the moment.

Ha - I found the link I was thinking of...
ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment
This walked me through the treatment. When my fish had ICH I only saw it on some of the fish, not all... so maybe your current result is similar?
I will read through that right now. I can't thankyou enough for all your help!

It is definitely possible for some inhabitants to contract Ich while others stay clear. Healthy, stress-free fish are usually able to fight it off without problem. The fry, being new to the world, are weak and easily susceptible to the infection. I recently went through Ich on 2 of my fish while the other 4 never showed any signs. I agree, the heat treatment is going to be your best bet and I wouldn't be surprised if you do end up losing some fry. To be clear, I just wanted you to be ready for that circumstance. If you do decide to use medication, be very careful to make sure there is no copper in it. Copper will be lethal to your inverts. Good luck!
Thankyou so much for your help as well! This site is filled with awesome people! Can't thankyou guys enough!

TexasDomer
I've never seen ich on fish that young, and the spots kinda look wrong to be ich to me, but again, it may just be the size of the fish throwing me off.

Mom2some
OP - any updates?

ashleyt123

IMG_7462.PNG
IMG_7463.PNG
IMG_7464.PNG
OP - any updates?
OP - any updates?

I have turned up the heat, and have added salt like the website suggested. This is how hey look now. (They are definitely growing quick still).

TexasDomer
I wouldn't use salt, they can be sensitive to it. Heat and gravel vacs/water changes (make sure to gravel vac inside their little box) should be enough if it's ich.

ashleyt123
I wouldn't use salt, they can be sensitive to it. Heat and gravel vacs/water changes (make sure to gravel vac inside their little box) should be enough if it's ich.
Ok thank you so much. We will just use heat method, I will post back with updates soon.

ashleyt123
GUYS! We lost quite a few, but the ICH is gone!!! Thankyou all again so much for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_7657.JPG
    IMG_7657.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 34
phantom
very weird I don't think its ich one of my platies has something like that but the others in the tank don't

Mom2some
GUYS! We lost quite a few, but the ICH is gone!!! Thankyou all again so much for all your help!

Are the ones that made it healthy & growing? With the heat treatment remember to do the full treatment even if the spots are gone (like when one takes antibiotics).

ashleyt123
Don't worry still doing the heat treatment! Just wanted to update and say all is going well! They do seem very healthy and are growing (slowly but surely).

ashleyt123
very weird I don't think its ich one of my platies has something like that but the others in the tank don't
That is very strange. I'm sorry to hear. All I know is the heat treatment really worked (is working) for whatever it was. Here's to hoping you are able to help your platy.

B1GD4DDY
It is possible for individuals in a community to contract Ich without others showing symptoms. Many healthy fish are able to fight off the infection while the less healthy or stressed individuals will show all the symptoms. It is importatnt to treat the entire tank though rather than QT the affected fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views
Tanks and Plants
Top Bottom