plz comment on my new 200L stock plan!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by wayne834, Dec 8, 2012.

1. wayne834Valued MemberMember

I hoped I could be stocked by now but i`ve had to wait for a new light unit to be delivered(tuesday hopefully) and as always i`ve discovered more available 4 delivery species...... I`ve purposely selected small species that appeal to me as the tanks filtration is good,tetratec ex 1200 a fluval 4 internal too

Salt & Pepper COries 8 i`ve created as much open sand are as poss,as the tanks pretty well planted
    Rosy Loach 6
    Glowlight Danios
    Ottos (once i`ve developed some algae)
    Celestial Pearl Danios
    RCS + ano? plenty of java moss in there
    1x5 Banded Gourami
    Spotted Blue Rainbow (my big desire)

substrates sand ,with 4 java moss benches(superb pieces 7x17 for 8.99£) lots of natural hidey holes were created from planting,pebbles etc; with 2 log caves 15 cm long at each end
    is this list manageable ,too adventurous or too much ,

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

welcome to the forum

It doesn't seem like it's a bad plan. I'm not familiar with rosy loaches, so I don't know how they will interact with the corys.

What's the rainbow? A gertrudes rainbow? Rainbows really need to be in a school.

3. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

:)  

You're so lucky to be able to get the Rosy Loaches :)
    Carol

4. OP
    OP
    w

wayne834Valued MemberMember

yh, the rainbows are gertrudes, the info i`ve seen has them in a group of 4-6 and prefering the top-centre area, rosy loaches would create a strong contrast of colour at 1" they are def a peacefull type making sure they get their fill may be my issue there:)

Thnx Carol, they r a prize, I`ve seen them available at 3 retailers within a 2 hour drive:)

5. Jaysee

Hahaha, I misspoke. I know of them and have previously read that page :) "early indications" tells me there's not much to reference as far as compatibility. That and never having kept them was what I meant. I did forget that they were so small.

Almost all of the generic info says 4-6 for just about every schooling fish. Really, you should get as many as you can - IME the blue eyed rainbows need a much larger school than the larger rainbows.

6. Butterfly

I've kept the blue eyed rainbows and totally agree with Jaysee. They just get swept away in small schools.
    carol

7. Butterfly

Wayne I have no idea about logistics as to where you live but the hands in that link belong to Emma Turner who is the livestock buyer at Maidenhead aquatics- crowland. She has kept these little loaches and can probably give you some good advice as what to keep with them and how many to buy.
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    w

Thts gr8:) Lincolnshire,where the shops based is a 3+ hour drive from my home 10 miles south of London,but I`m a lazy victim of internet shopping I have all the maidenhead aquatics within delivery range:) I will gladly e mail the shop and put a word in for you along with a request for care information.

I`m not sure whether a school of blue eyes would clash tbh as a school of 6 plus ,I hadn`t envisaged a group of live bearers.... maybe a few more loaches or glowlights

9. Jaysee

I don't know what you mean...

10. OP
    OP
    w

Would a group of 6+ gertrudes rainbow tip the stocking over the edge basically

11. Jaysee

There are two kinds of overstocked. One is from a bioload perspective. That's really not a problem and is easily mitigated with filtration and maintenance. So your tank's stock is limited by your filtration capacity. You can always add more media to allow for a larger bacteria colony, which will maintain water quality.

The other is from a space perspective. No amount of filtration can make up for a lack of space. This would be keeping a fish that's way to big for the tank, or keeping so many fish that they bump into one another. While you could easily handle the bioload, that doesn't make it a healthy environment for the fish.

You have plenty of space, stocking the tank with small fish like you are, so that's not a problem. There aren't any large waste producers, so your filtration won't need to be anything crazy or prohibitive. You could certainly keep several schools of small fish in your tank. The CPDs, loaches and corys will stay in the bottom half of the tank, while the rainbows and glowlights (assuming on this one) will stay in the upper half.

12. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

You've assumed right. My glowlights always stay in the upper half of the tank.

13. OP
    OP
    w

Unless someone shows me a fish so irresistable or I keep searching ;p ,I think I`m set now thnx to you guys:)

luckily my bottom space is taken,ortherwise a pitbull plec may tempt me!!!

14. Jaysee

Pitbull plecos are just like otos and should be kept in groups. I'd put them on your list, but do what you are going to do now and wait and see how you feel about adding more, later after the fish have grown in a little.

15. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure pitbull plecos need groups? I had one alone and he was fine. Always active. Never heard they needed groups.

Aren't rubbernose plecos and pitbull a the same or are there two different plecos called pitbull plecos?

16. Jaysee

If I'm not sure about something, I say so :)

No, rubberlip/nose are different. Pitbull plecos are just like otos.

17. allaboutfish

Oh ok. See another common name for the rubberlips is bulldog so i assumed that was the pleco they were referring to.

18. Jaysee

pitbulls and bulldogs are differnt ;)

19. allaboutfish

Oops. Sorry!!

20. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Those rosy loaches are cute as buttons

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice