Plywood Top

PosingOwl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have the stand built. Just trying to figure out what size plywood yo add to the top of the stand. Is 3/4" really necessary? I was planning to wrap it as well. A 4ftx8ft sheet cost a little over $50 where I am at.
20180522_184616.jpg
20180522_184638.jpg
20180522_184649.jpg

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1/2 is fine.

However I just purchased 3/4 to redo all my tops from water damage that had 1/2.

Either works; but sealing it will be the best thing you can do. I’m doing this over again because I skipped that step.

What stores do you have by the way? Home Depot’s oak is 54 something but the sanded ply is cheaper next to the craft board.

PosingOwl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
We have a Lowes Hardware, Burns Hardware and Johnsons Lumber.

The 1/2" is about 20 dollars less thatln 3/4" at lowes. Will be checking out the other stores today.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size is the stand? Looks like 48"? They sell 4' x 4' pieces of plywood. 1/2" is fine for a stand top since the edges will be supported.

PosingOwl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It came out to be 50"×14", gave myself some extra room since it is my first diy stand.

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Holy over engineering!

You could stack 3 55g on that stand. I built one for my 75g and only used a single brace across. I didn't use plywood on top but I did cut one for the bottom so my canisters don't sit on the floor (not pictured).

2018-01-19 22.26.33.jpg

PosingOwl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
DarkOne said:
Holy over engineering!

You could stack 3 55g on that stand. I built one for my 75g and only used a single brace across. I didn't use plywood on top but I did cut one for the bottom so my canisters don't sit on the floor (not pictured).

View attachment 440591
That looks good. Thinking of doing around the same color.

That's what everyone is saying. My counter argument is that my fiance needed more assurance that it will not fail haha. I will be putting a 55 gallon on it.

Looks like I will be wrapping it in 1/2" plywood as well as the top. I have not decided to go with a rimless tank or not. Both frames were cracked when I bought the tank used so I just want to brace the top.

PosingOwl

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So after adding the plywood on top, the back of the frame is not sitting flush. Looks like a millimeter or two off. What can I do to fix this. Some people say styrofoam others said it will be fine.

The directions say not to place polystyrene under the bottom frame.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom