plump female????

1. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

A few days ago, I noticed that one of my bristlenose plecos were looking quite fat, or plump. I think this pleco is a female, because she has no bristles like the other common bristle nose pleco I have. I'm guessing she is full of eggs, though, I'm not certain. She is only about 1.5-2" long.

I don't think she's sick, because she's acting like she usually does, although, she is exploring the tank more. It looks like she is looking for food or something, could it be she's looking for a place to lay her eggs, if she is pregnant?

If in the end, she and the other bristlenose spawn/mate, what are the chances of survival in my tank? There are ALOT of hiding places and it is heavily planted. There is also three different woods in the tank.

thanks

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello BadWolf.

The best I can tell you is you have 50/50 chance of any survivors. I would recommend though, especially since it may be the first spawn, that you let mother nature take its course. The Dad will take care of the eggs. He may even move them around from spot to spot. It will really help you to know what is taking place naturally first. Then if you feel the need for some intervention (moving the eggs to make sure they hatch) you'll have a better idea on what needs to be done. JMO :)
    Best of luck for a spawn!
    Ken

3. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

omg! so she is pregnant?? yay!

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

BadWolf I can't say for certain that she is pregnant. As long as your water chemistry is where it needs to be it is a good possibility. Keep and eye on things. Check (if possible) to make sure the fish in question is pooping. That way you can rule out constipation.
    Keep us posted!
    Ken

5. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

yes, she's is pooping like normal, lol

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member