Pluming Idea

1. hop2jr Member Member

Hi All
    I was just thinking of ways to same cash an want to cut my electric bill alittle and though that I could plume my Q-tank in with my main tank. As long as there are no sick fish or meds in the tank and shut off its filter. I would install shut off system so if a fish was sick I would shut off the flow to the main tank and turn on the Q-tank filter. Good Idea?? I could shut off the heater also the main tanks heater can handle the 10gal Q-tank.

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That's an interestng idea, but since the whole point of a QT is to isolate the fish, mixing the water is a bad idea. My QTs don't run all the time. I keep the media in existing tanks filters so that when I need to set one up, I just attach the filter and heater and drop in the media. This way, you'll only be running the extra filter and heater when you need to and not all the time.

3. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Jaysee. The idea of a QT is complete isolation. I don't use QT myself but if I did I can garuntee that I would be doing the same thing Jaysee does. Media in the main tank for use if I need QT. I wouldn't be mixing the two up at all. You get whitespot or parasites or something in one it will be in the other as well. Bad idea IMO.

4. hop2jr Member Member

I keep my Q-tank running all the time because I grow out fish and sell and trade them with friend, when the Q tank has no ill fish ( Which Ive only had 2 problems in 2 yrs) I use it for ghost shrimp to feed to my cichlids as a treat, or babys fish that need a break. So my thought was to plum the two tanks together with the a way to seperate the waterflow if I would need to use the Q tank (if I used as a Q tank I would use carbon to filter out the meds, do water change and restart the flow.) My thought on tieing them together is the fish that was sick would have an easier time aclamating to the Q tank because the water would be from it's home tank.

5. Slug Well Known Member Member

Hooking it to an existing tank would totally defeat the purpose of a QT tank. Might as well be another display tank. Anything the fish might have will be passed to the other fish. Your water should be the same all around, since its coming from the same source anyway. You could use a new setup as a QT tank and then make it a display for those fish in it, but you wouldn't be able to have a QT tank hooked to another tank like a sump.

Theres no way you can separate it and then plumb it together again. You will still be mixing traces of meds, diseases, nasties that will be left over. A QT tank is separate period.

Quarantine:
    1. a strict isolation imposed to prevent the spread of disease.
    2. to exclude, detain, or isolate for political, social, or hygienic reasons.

Isolation:
    1. the complete separation from others of a person suffering from contagious or infectious disease; quarantine.

6. Scott H Member Member

I get it and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. if the tanks can be separated from each other easily and before you get the new fish that would need to have a quarantine period then it should work fine so long as you always remember to turn on the Q tanks own systems eg filter, heater before you separate them.
    also for plumbing them together i would suggest an overflow box because its easy to put a ball valve on them (which would separate the tanks) and there just so easy to set up and maintain.

7. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I get it to but it's definitley a bad idea. It may work for introducing new fish, but I doubt it. Most diseases & parasites within the aquarium are microscopic & there will be leaks that the disease/parasite can pass through. That is inevitable. Taps etc are never totally water tight so a microscopic organism will have no trouble passing through the 'seal'. Then there is the if the fish in the main tank get sick, there is no point transfering them to quarantine because the parasite/disease will already be present in there. As well as the problems other members have mentioned. Sharing the filter system & water supply completely defeats the purpose of quarantine. 37 tanks of experience tells me so.

8. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

hm..what if you installed a diatom filter in between? don't diatoms filter out the nasties? i've heard it can filter out ICH but nothing specific about others so in the long run it would be less expensive maybe....just something i thought up like halfway through typing something else... so would THAT work... filtered and heated water from main tank into QT, then back into main tank through a diatom filter. just hypothetically speaking..(woot spelled it right without spell check lawls)

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Moving past the "it's a bad idea" part, because I believe that's been made quite clear, how were you thinking about linking the tanks?

The two ways I see to do it are to cut holes in each side and silicone a connector piece, which would have the "not completely sealed" valve.

The other way is to do an aqua bridge, but I think that would require a canister to effectively filter both tanks (spray bar in the first, intake in the second). That would completely eliminate the threat of pathogens getting into the main tank, because once the aquabridge is removed (and the canister intake moved), there would be 2 completely seperate tanks.

10. hop2jr Member Member

I was thinking of pluming both out of I sump with DIY PVC overflows and then spitting the return line to both tanks. To seprate them I would have shut-off valves and quick disconnects. So If I had to use it as a Q-tank I could Totally seperate them. So now even though it a bad Idea the only problem would be if the was a sickness or meds in this tank? While I guess I would cure the fish of course the just empty the tank boil the gravel and throw the tank in the dish washer without soap of course the hot water should kill all nasty's, and I would not let it go through the dry cycle to keep the seals intacked. Then reinstall tank the Bio form the first tank would instow-cycle (my new word) the Q-tank.(would be like doing a 10gal water change on a 50gal tank.(29gal tank with a 29gal sump). So I guess use would say it would be a stand by Q-tank/invert-grow out to cichlid food tank.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Not saying this is good or bad, but I've got 4 quarantine tanks, and I've never washed any of them out. IME that's a lot of unneeded work. I have ditched the media though.

12. ldbrown3138 Member Member

Why do you have substrate in a quarantine tank? That's just another place for the nasties to hide. Some meds are also known to leach into substrate materials.

I keep my Q tank bare bottom with a sponge filter, small air pump and heater. Unless you're keeping really big fish a 10 gallon tank is generally adequate.

30 years of fishkeeping and counting

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good advice. I have substrate that I'll put in a QT, depending on the fish, but I remove it when I'm done.

I have 2 10s, a 20 and a 29 for QTs. If you order fish online, it's important to have a larger QT as well as at least 2. If all the fish are from the same place, I'll put them all in the big QT. If specific fish look questionable, they get put in the small ones. Obviously some fish can not be put together, which is how I've come to have 4 QTs. If you buy online, having a few is a must IME.

14. ldbrown3138 Member Member

I use 10 gallon tanks for quarantine. The bottoms and back are painted black (show style) With the dark background and bottom the fish are more secure than in a "glass box". I have multiple 10 gallon tanks for this purpose. When I make a large order, I separate fish by species. I like the smaller tanks, it makes close observation much easier and if any meds are needed the smaller volume means less cost although I rarely use anything stronger than salt and water changes.