Plucky the bristlenose goes in

Rgtx

Hey guys, noticed my bristlenose Plucky went into my sponge filter outlet tube lol. He thought about several days ago but didn't go in. Got him on video

Demeter

Be careful! I’ve had one young male go in the tube and get stuck. Poor fella had one of his little side stabbers (the ones on the side of their mouth) out and got it wedged in somehow. I didn’t notice till it was too late and found him dead.

Rgtx

Dang, sorry to hear that. I'm assuming he was little if he had those side barbs grow out. Think I read they get them least after a year or so. Plucky is about 6 months I'll estimate.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Dang, sorry to hear that. I'm assuming he was little if he had those side barbs grow out. Think I read they get them least after a year or so. Plucky is about 6 months I'll estimate.
The bristles aren’t sharp, he was most likely talking about his fins. (which can be extremely sharp)

Demeter

No I mean their stabbers! Not sure what they are called but they are located at the corners of their mouth. They are tucked in unless they are fighting with another pleco or if you take them out of the water. Look at photos online of plecos being held out of water and you’ll know what I mean. They are hard and sharp, often times they are what gets them stuck in mesh nets.

Photo to show where they are located

3E4E175A-A270-4E58-95C2-2C636A14DA3F.jpeg

SouthAmericanCichlids

No I mean their stabbers! Not sure what they are called but they are located at the corners of their mouth. They are tucked in unless they are fighting with another pleco or if you take them out of the water. Look at photos online of plecos being held out of water and you’ll know what I mean. They are hard and sharp, often times they are what gets them stuck in mesh nets.

Oh, I always knew they had some sharp part that didn’t allow them to go in nets, but always thought it was in the fins.

Rgtx

Yea figure that what you were talking about. They look cool as adults as those grow out.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
astertk
Replies
Views
AquariaUK
  • Question
Replies