Plse Help Me Read My Test Strip

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by yankeegirl718, Aug 13, 2015.

1. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

Hello all!
    So, I've been using Tetra 5 in 1 test strips that test for all except ammonia. At first, i thought you just dip and read with this brand (i was using API prior to purchasing the Tetra ones).
    Then, after reading more thoroughly, i came to learn that rhey are just like the API, 30 seconds for ph, kh & gh and 60 seconds to read nitrite & nutrate.

So, when i was reading them all instantly, my nitrate was always at 0. Today and yesterday i feel like it's between 0 & 20. What do you think? It's only day 11 of a fish in cycle with 3 glofish danios, 6 neon tetras and 2 julii cories.

Thanks for your help! I apologize for the quality of pictures, not easy to do alone with a bottle that rolls lol

[​IMG]

2. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

3. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

4. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

I know, i finally only have about 3 strips left, so plan on buying a liquid test today or tomorrow. I, unfortunately can't afford to keep buying stuff, i have to use what i have before switching to something better unless absolutely imperative.

5. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Totally understandable :)

6. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

I never saw a spike in my nitrites, but if it occurred while reading it wrong, i guess that could explain, but it seems way too soon for any of that to be possible.

7. ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

The liquid test kit will last you a long time and will save you money in the long run. Both in test kit costs and fish health costs!

8. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

Yes, I'm aware, which is why i stated that i plan to buy a liquid test today or tomorrow. I can't just spend money outside of my budget when i have human babies that come first.

9. LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

It's good you're going to upgrade to a liquid test kit soon. They are known for being much more accurate than test strips. Although any test where you have to compare the vial to colors on a piece of paper can be misread by the user. Regardless, your results are bound to be much closer to accuracy.

10. yankeegirl718Valued MemberMember

I do wish the colors/results were easier to interpret, but i guess science is science! ☺

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice