Pls Identify Fin(s)??

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
What is the proper name of those 2 long fins under the gills on the bottom of the betta Are they called "rays"? They sort of "balance" on them when they stop for a rest sometimes. Do they keep growing?? Val

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
That's a good question, but unfortunately I don't know the answer. Have you tried googling "betta anatomy"? You never know what you might find on the web.

CherryRose

antisen

Reaction score
Those are called the pelvic or ventral fins.

I don't think they keep growing, unless your betta's young that is. Dory's are actually different sizes from each other, but since they've been that way since I got him I assume they don't grow or change much.

Alasse

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
From what i've searched out

They are ventral or pelvic fins.....and the fins of a male betta grow all its life

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks I  just researched the net, found out they are ventral,  found no reference to growing.  I am curious because Neptune continues his fin rot battle, but I am sure those fins are getting longer and longer.  They reach over halfway  past his analfin - they are pretty cool.  Or it could be that I am looking for something to be happy about regarding his lovely assortment of fins.  His fin rot is confined to the caudal fin.

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
I saw him resting today and the ventrals were right along the side of his body & they are as long as his little body...........so neat!! I don't think there was ever damage to them. I looked at a pic taken in Feb when I got him, and they are at least doubled!!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
voiceless_kat said:
I saw him resting today and the ventrals were right along the side of his body & they are as long as his little body...........so neat!! I don't think there was ever damage to them. I looked at a pic taken in Feb when I got him, and they are at least doubled!!
I see.. well, sounds like you just got a special Betta then.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom