Pls help me is my guppy pregnant??

1. Jaxxosuna

Jaxxosuna Valued Member Member

Hi I bought 2 guppies yesterday.
    She's been hiding all day on the top next to the heater or in the other corner next to the filter. The boy has been chasing her too. She has a very black spot on her belly. But it's my first time having a guppy so I need to know that way I can put her in my breeding tank. Thanks for your help. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407736448.856179.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

She is definitely pregnant:)!you should not put her in the net/box until her belly looks like this\___/. Also you should really get another female or two because the boy will stress her out so much she may absorb the fry.

3. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If you have a whole separate tank for breeding, you can actually put her in now. Leave her there for 6 months and she'll give you hundreds of fry, just be prepared and have a plan for them. Make sure you don't put her in a breeding trap until her belly is large and square. :)

4. Flowingfins

Forgot to mention that... Thanks junebug.

5. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

Do you have any idea why she's isolating herself so much?? So she's not due anytime soon right? Until she gets huge ? lol
    Thank you so much. I didn't think she was since she's so skinny & when I bought her she was only with females.

6. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

I am using a 5.5 gallon for the breeding. I have a pregnant mollie also. But she doesn't have a black spot yet she's just huge so she's still in the main tank.
    Thank you guys I appreciate it.

7. junebug

Mollies don't always look "gravid" in the same way guppies do. You may never see a gravid spot. However both these species are likely to eat their fry, so if you want to keep the fry, you'll have to do something about that.

Your female guppy could be isolating herself for a number of reasons. At this point, since she's new, it's likely just stress from moving tanks. Keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get sick and you should be fine.

Female livebearers from store tanks are pretty much always pregnant. She may have been in a female tank at the store, but she wasn't at the breeder, so she'll be storing sperm for a very long time just from the males she was exposed to before.

8. Flowingfins

Your welcome:) she is probably stressed and isolating herself because the male is bothering her and also because of the stress of moving. It is recommended that you keep only all males all females or 1 male to every2-3 females.out of my 11 guppies I only have 2 males ( will be changing once they go to the 100 gallon:)

9. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

Poor thing that's probably. That boy doesn't leave her alone. I'll buy 2 more females tomorrow :)

10. Flowingfins

Keep us updated:)

11. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407737407.660463.jpg
    That's my molly :)

12. Flowingfins

o_O I love balloon mollies:)

13. junebug

Those are balloon mollies. If they're females (I can't see anal fins in that picture) they are probably preggy, but keep in mind that they will always look that fat. Also with that coloration, you won't see gravid spots.

14. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

Haha me too they're such fatties!

Yes that's the female :) I'm a little more familiar with the balloon mollies. I have 5. & she just looks odd next to the other 4 haha she's just huge! The guy from the pet store told me she'd have her babies soon. But that was like a week ago. So idk when I should expect the fry "/

15. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407737819.342511.jpg
    This is a better pic sorry

16. Flowingfins

She's pretty. One of my mollies is pregnant too. I didn't realize my Dalmatian was pregnant until she started dropping her fry on the way home

17. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

No way!!!! That's awesome!!!:) I hope I get lucky & see her giving birth.
    Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know when my guppy has her babies :)

18. Flowingfins

The others ate all but 6 of them :( they are about 2 weeks old now and are starting to get spots:) she is the only fish I have seen give birth. One of my guppies is about to pop too. This is what they will look like right before dropping their fry

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407738586.985484.jpg

19. OP
    OP
    Jaxxosuna

Awe that one is pretty:)
    Okay see she looks pregnant... Mine doesn't at all haha that's why I was confused. She's super skinny. How long are they pregnant for?

20. Flowingfins

Thanks:) their gestation period is anywhere between 30-40 days in my experience. If you want fry now get the fattest female the LFS has and put her in the breeding tank immediately ( well, acclimate first). I have done that a few times:)