Pls Help Me Figure How To Help This Sick Nerite and How To Acclimate Him Safely

Megaanemp
Hello,

I’ve had 3 Nerites in my 75 gallon for a year. The water is soft with a low KH, but the pH is 7.2.
Only 1 of the Nerites is having shell issues, the others look healthy and are doing fine in this tank.
This little guys shell however is dissolving. I have a 5 gallon tank that only has pond and bladder snails in it and I keep the KH in that tank at 7-8 degrees and the pH is about 7.6-7.8. I would like to put the Nerite into that tank but am worried about shocking him with such a big parameter shift. Would drip acclimating him suffice? I could also keep him in a 5 gallon bucket and adjust the parameters slowly over a few days to match the 5 gallon. However, the room temp is about 68-74F over the course of 24 hours. Is this too cold or to much of a swing in temp for the snail to handle? I’m also going to start feeding him spinach ans will add a cuttlefish bone into the 5 gallon for extra calcium.

Advice is much appreciated, hopefully I can help this little guy

Betta'sAnonymous
I certainly would try the calcium first. The others would probably benefit from that, too.

Megaanemp
Betta'sAnonymous said:
I certainly would try the calcium first. The others would probably benefit from that, too.
Yes, I will work on raising the KH a little in my tank. However, I’d first need to raise the gh a bit because my water is so soft that a slight increase in kh causes a huge pH change. That’s why I’m thinking it would be best to acclimate him to my snail tank so that he can rehab in there. The KH in there is a good 5 degrees higher. Would it be best to drip acclimate him? I feel that he needs intervention sooner than I’ll be able to provide it in the larger tank. I keep soft water fish so can’t increase the kh much more anyways.

Latest threads

Top Bottom