Plexi the Pleco finds a new home

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I thought I'd share these pictures I took of my boyfriend's pond. We added Plexi, the pleco I rescued from the closing pet store, and haven't seen him/her since lol. Anyway, I'm sure Plexi is happily munching away on algae and microorganisms at the bottom of the pond.

Plexi was "sold" (and when I say sold, I mean given) to me as a Trinidad Pleco. I never could determine what species he/she was, because the dorsal fin was never extended long enough for me to count the rays while in QT. However, regardless of species, he'll get to be at the very least. 7 inches long (and possibly as long as a foot).

Plexi went through a very long QT of 3.5 months or so (I don't remember the exact day I brought the little one home). I normally am not so paranoid, but I've had fish come home with columnarus from that store and didn't want to risk infecting my boyfriend's koi and the goldie.

Anyway, here are a few pictures I took of Plexi's new home. And a really cool bug, possibly a true dragonfly, that came to visit me and rest on the plants.

IMG_20140721_105054 (737x553).jpg IMG_20140721_105215 (680x510).jpg IMG_20140721_105826-ACTION (680x510).jpg

2. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Lucky Plexi - beautiful pond☺

3. FiscCyning Member Member

Gorgeous pond! Plexi must be so happy!

4. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Oh boy! I wish I had a pond that nice to set my Common Pleco free in when he outgrows my tank!

5. shayla1 Well Known Member Member

What a great pond! I love the dragonfly, too. I'm glad you had a good place for Plexi to live and that you were able to provide for him.

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, guys! Yeah, I love the pond. One day, I'll get a great picture of Genghis Koi, the big beautiful koi girl in there. She's the one who's nearly two feet long... she looks like a giant tube with a wet sock for a mouth LOL. Anyway our main concerns with adding Plexi were her giant sock mouth accidentally eating him (she accidentally eats mosquito fish ALL the time) and the red eared sliders going after him before he could find a hiding place.

Well we got sneaky lol. Josh distracted the big fish and turtles with food on one side of the pool while I slipped Plexi in the other side. Thus far, no pieces of fish have appeared in the filter, so it's probable that Plexi made it to a hiding place at the bottom of the pond before anyone could bother him.

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

What a lovely pond June. Your Pleco is in pond heaven :)

8. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

:D yeah, I do like the pond. We'll probably have to remove Plexi during the winter, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I might just set the boyfriend up with a 20gL and a few guppies. He has a basement that really wants to be used as a fishroom lol. But that would be a good winter home for the little pleco <3