Plesostomus turning white

Wolfie

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a plecostomus who are turning white. All the other fish are fine and the other plecostomus are fine asswell. Whats going one with this one?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Can you define it a little better than that? Is it white and fuzzy or white spots like salt? What size tank are they in? What fish are in it? Have you tested the water and if so, what are the parameters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates? Do you add anything to the water? What's the temp at? We kinda need a little more info before we can help.

Wolfie

Reaction score
ok, i havent tested the water, i have 4 Gouramis, 2 horse faces, 4 neonTetras, 6 guppys, 2 plecostomuses, 2 eels which i cant find the names of and which dont like each ather and one Betta.

The tank is about 120 liters. I have fine sand at the bottum and same fresh water plants which the gouramis are taken appart. The plecostomus which are turning white look normal from the top except his turning white, at the bottum it looks like some white fluffy stuff.

The water temp is constant at 26 to 27 degree celsuis.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well first off, I'd recommend testing the water. If you don't have any testing kits, then take a sample of the water to an LFS or pet store and have them test it for you. They'll do it for free. And don't let them give you the "its fine" or "its good' answers. Tell them you want specific numbers. You need to know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels at the very least.

Next, I'd say that you are most likely overstocked. A heavy bioload could be a bit part of the problem. How often do you do water changes? With that much of a load, I hope you do them often. Also, depending on the type of pleco, its likely going to outgrow your tank soon if it hasn't already. Common plecos get to be about 60 cm! Stunting is going to be a major issue and will affect their health. Most freshwater eels get even bigger than that and need a minimum of 400 liters.

White fluffy stuff sounds like a fungal issue. I would recommend getting some Pimafix as soon as possible. Do a major water change (minimum of 50%) and remove any carbon from the filters before you start treatment.

jaxstraww

Reaction score
I have the same thing happening? Just woke up and went downstairs and he is on his side with a white patch on his tail. Not fluffy. Looks like his skin has actually become white. Water is a bit on the acidic side and warm as heck. I turned on the air conditioner to bring the heat down a bit. The tank is 55 gallons. I have two plecos (one is in trouble) the other is around 14 years old and I'm worried about leaving number two in there for the afternoon. But he hasn't died yet and he is to big to go down the bowl if I have to. Debating on staying home and doing a 50% pull and such. Any idea on solid white skin color? Is the tank to hot and if so what are some things that happen if the water is to warm?

Just finished some tests. Color blind so these are tough.
Ammonia .25
Nitrate no2 .50
Nitrate no3 between 40 and 160 - Can't tell the reds are real close. The test tube is blood red I am leaning towards the high end towards 160.
High Range PH - <7.4
PH Range 6.6 (added PH up this morning)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jaxstraww- plecostomous are heavy waste producers as you know if you have had the one for 14 yrs. By your readings you need to do large water changes for the next couple of days to get those readings down where they need to be. good luck.
Carol

jaxstraww

Reaction score
Did a 50% this morning and decided to go to work. i did try and vaccumm as much crud as I could. Also used cold water to bring the temp back to a more reasonable number. I use two thermos and both of them didn't register. Water was warmer than 84 degrees. I'll change the filters when I get home. I disturbed a ton of stuff that they would have caught. I aslo added some of the slime coat medicine before I left. Not sure. The one that is sick is seven years old. Still concerned about the solid white though. The topic starter had the same issue. Is it a pleco thing when they get sick? I'll do another 50% tomorrow or test first then change. I'm thinking one more big swap of water to try and clean a bit more gravel. any thoughts?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hard to say what it is without a pic.

Wow, that water is pretty warm. I wouldn't change the filters if I were you, last thing you need is more problems with ammonia and nitrites when you have a sick fish. Rinse it well in some tank water in a separate container, but don't put fresh media in. (Personally, I rarely change my filter media - doesn't need to be changed like the manufacturers say.) Clean the gravel and do a water change. If afterwards you still have ammonia and nitrite readings above zero, you can add some Prime or something similar that detoxifies the ammonia and nitrites so the fish don't get sicker.

Regarding the PH Up, that's not really a good product to use. It causes pH fluctuations which can make fish very ill. There are better ways to adjust the pH if you need to and we can help you with that if you would like.

jaxstraww

Reaction score
I use whisper power filters. So your saying just clean the sludge off in shared water elswhere and not to replace the charcoal and filter bag? Ok, no problem. I usually use PH 7.0 that they sell. It was just so bad I only had PH up available and I had to try and bring it closer to 7.0. Let me know what you would reccomend to balance the PH. I'll check the readings when I get home. Should be eight hours. I may look for Prime after work anyway. Let me know if I'm on point about the filters and let me know what PH regulators I should use. I used the 7.0 tablets and the Bulls Eye in the past. As far as the white I looked and its not salt speckled we have a solid white on his tail about two inches long. Thinking the Ick guard may be of value just in case. Seems the all around cure for allot of items. I assume it doesn't hurt anything if they don't have Ick.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct about the fiilter. I just rub the media with my fingers to get the sludge off in some tank water I've removed from the tank (or you can use fresh water that's been declored, just make sure the water is declored or it can kill the bacteria I've been told). I don't use charcoal unless I'm removing medication, I only use polyfill floss stuff ($2 pillow stuffing from Wal-Mart) and only change it when its too dirty to get clean anymore. There's also a thin sponge that I rinse off and never change.

I would forgo the Ick Guard. I've never used medication to treat ich and find that its best to minimize the amount of non-natural stuff put into the tank. I just treat ich with raised temp and salt. Never had a problem with that, even with my scaleless fish. Adding unnecessary chemicals isn't something I would recommend, even if it doesn't hurt anything.

For raising your pH, lemme look into it and I'll let you know what the recommendations are. But in general, its much better to have a too-low or too-high pH than it is to have fluctuating pH. That's really bad on fish and can even kill some of them.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your fish Regular weekly water changes and water testing is a must!!!
Wolfie how is your pleco? How are the water test?
Carol

Wolfie

Reaction score
hey,

No he past on to better waters.

but i moved down to the coast now and basically started a new tank.

it was a 9 hour trip and the fish lived through it. Won't say how, you just might swear at me.
i won't add salt to my tank again, it killed both my eels and later on my betta.
The fluffy staff was funges, and after struggling and loosing about all my fish i got the right treatment. that was to start over.

i cleaned all the stuff with hot water and placed hot water in my tank, ass hot as possible. then let it cool off over a few days and place in then the plants and fish, since then no fish deseases only a pregnant neon!

got 2gold gouramis, two red ones nad the gold ones mated a few days ago, one horse face from back then, 5 neons, one of my first plego and a new tiger plego.

good luck and sorry about your plego!

any good ideas about what fish to add to a oscars tank?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom