29 Gallon Tank Plenums and HOB filters

AndyP

I set up a 29 gallon aquarium earlier this year and set up a plenun. I have an undergravel filter plate with about 3 inches of flourite red on top of it. As per Dr. Novak's instructions, I'm trying to have a slow a flow as possible, so my life tube is only 2 inches tall and I am using the smallest Eheim air pump, the air100.

The tank has been up for about 5 months now I think. The tank has had zero issues, really. I have an Aquaclear 50 filtering the tank.

In those 4 months I have cleaned the Aquaclear twice. And both times, the sponge has been really close to spotless. The lift tube does get debris on the end of it, so there is definitely flow. And, even if there was bypass, the sponge should still get SOME gunk on it. I've never had an Aquaclear filter where the sponge didn't release a ton of when I cleaned it.

Is there anyone else running a plenum with an Aquaclear that has seen something similar to this?

Fishfriendof315

Most of its getting trapped in the flourite above the plate. I used too

AndyP

Most of its getting trapped in the flourite above the plate. I used too
Should I vacuum the flourite? I don't want to disturb the anoxic bacteria.

Fishfriendof315

When i had one i only vacuumed 25% of fllor space. I do have to add i had gravel on top of mine.
The bacteria attaches itself to the substrate not the waste. Really once its cycled only way your gonna lose any is if you remove the flourite and let it dry completely out

AndyP

Why did you get rid of the plenum?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MatthewTommy
  • Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
Replies