Plecostomus

1. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

We just recently bought a plecostomus due to a high algae problem...he seems to be sitting on the bottom of the tank in this "shark" mouth that we have and rarely comes out. He seems very lonely, we have 2 female mollies and one male, should we get another plecostmous to join it? We only have a 10 gallon tank and we bought it to take care of the algae problem, it is a mini plecostomus because we didn't want it to get too big. Could it just be because it is new to the tank, (about 2 weeks) and needs to get used to the newness? There are alot of changes in my tank right now due to pregnancy with a few of the females and a breeder net placed today...just wondering if he was lonely...

2. Janmitch22 Member Member

Are you sure it's mini? What did the store call it when you bought it?Even if it's like a bristlenose or something, you'd be pushing the limits of a ten-gallon if you got two. It'll be okay once it's settled. I don't want to be an Eeyore, but if it doesn't become active at nighttime and/or when you feed it, it may be sick with something.

3. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

That is what the store said, Jack from Jacks aquarium said a 10 gallon would only take this smaller kind of bottom feeder, honestly I have no idea exactly what it is called. I have seen it out at the bottom and on top of the shark before, mostly at night. Is that when it does most of the "bottom feeding?" Hence bottom feeder? I do remember them saying it would only get to be about 4 inches...does that sound right? I know we didn't want it to get too big because of the fact we only had the 10 gallon tank. Thanks for the help!!!

4. vin Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't get any more fish as you're pretty much at your limits based on what you've listed. If it were me, I would go back to the store and ask Jack what the name of the pleco is - both the common name and the scientific name just to be sure of what type I have.

Many varieties of Plecos can get pretty big....Some upwards of 12-18 inches..... :eek: Of course that also depends upon the food supply and size of the habitat.

5. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Honestly -- i wouldn't suggest any type of pleco for a 10 gallon except for a bulldog pleco, which only get 2 inches long maximum. I especially wouldn't add two. ;)

It might be a good idea to find a site about plecos and try to identify the one you have, or go back to the store you bought it from to try to identify

good luck.

ps> I have a mini Emporer Pleco and he is also very shy - but very active at night,. Mostly all plecos will do just fine solo

6. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

OK...it is a clown pleco. They said it shouldn't get to be but about 4" long. Last night I watched it and it was very active at night so now I feel much better about the fact it is just resting during the day. Thanks for all you help!

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Is this your fish?

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2001_11.PHP

If so, you might also want to add a small piece of driftwood to the tank for him to rasp on. I think I would plan on getting a bigger tank in the near future, and use your 10 gallon for a quarantine/hospital tank. ;)

8. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

I couldn't get onto that site? ??? I know now it is a clown pleco, I will try and add the driftwood tomorrow.  Thanks for the advice, about the bigger tank...that just might be something later on when my boys are bigger, this was just for our 3 year old to learn about the importance of pets whole room is an aquarium underwater setting that is why we did the aquarium, plus (secretly...I love them too!) ;D

Attached Files:

9. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

I tried to take a pic of him but it is hard since he sits in our sharks mouth...here he is!

Attached Files:

10. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

cute :D
    but are you sure its a clown pleco? Mine looks exactly like that and its a common (unfortunately :( )

11. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

EMMA,
    i didn't know that common plecos had stripes on them? i thought they were a solid color

12. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

they said it was a clown...lord only knows, I am just going by what they are telling me, they could tell me it was a shark and I would believe them I am so new at this (ok, I wouldn't believe the shark business...but if they told me common or clown or whatever I believe anything...) I just wanted info on how they act, loneliness, if they could be alone, if they do most of their work at night ect. Thanks Empleco for all your help!

13. chris02_84 Member Member

14. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Yes yours looks like a clown to me.. i looked up their profile last night and surprisingly it looked alot like the emporer pleco that i have. Tell me if I am wrong, here is a pic of mine:

clear.gif

I change my advice if yours is a clown -- i checked several sites and all of them said they only get 4 inches. that should be fine in your tank as long as you don't add any more fish :)

15. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Man are Cats hard to identify!
    I dunno, but chris12_84, that pic you posted looks more like a zebra pleco. ???

16. chris02_84 Member Member

Zebra Pleco >>>>>>

clear.gif

17. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

similar but stripes not as big, of course it is a baby so they might get bigger...they stated it would only get to be about 4 inches so I am thinking clown...thanks again for all your help guys, I really appreciate it, cute pics!

18. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

If you paid alot of money fro it (like almost 100 dollars) it could possibly be a zebra pleco lol --

I don't think anyone would spend that much money on a fish and not know what it is.

hehe, I love zebra plecos though, i want one so bad

19. woodsplace1 Initiate Member

def. did NOT pay alot of money, maybe 5 bucks tops for the little guy, so not a zebra...people really pay that much for fish huh? like I said, this is for our little guy at home who is 3 so he can learn about the importance of a pet, but the more I learn the more I like it and am intersted in it...(don't think I will ever pay 100 bucks for a fish though!) thanks again for all your help

20. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

some rare fish can go for a couple grand, and show quality fish are really expensive too, like guppies normally go for a few dollars but a fancy show-winning pair can be $80 or more. Some discus are like $300 too.