Plecostomus Photos - Page 8

MomeWrath

Yeah I guess I have a boy lol. I hadn't gotten a good look at his face lately!

jake37

Here is another picture of my flash pleco - I should get a better one of the tail since it is much more interesting than the bn's tail - I guess it is not full grown yet but I really like this pleco - it has a lot of character. I'm not sure if all flash have character or just this individual. He (or is it a she?) is still a bit shy but generally tolerance of my walking across the room - I think it is more hesitant around the bn pleco than myself. When I get a bigger tank I think I'll get 2 or 3 more.

Coradee

Young calico bristlenose, he got stroppy with the corys as he matured so went back to my friend who bred him.

Dennis57

2 o
f my 7 different plecos.

idkausernamesoyeah

can we just appreciate the fact that this thread has been going on since 2007

DarkOne

Female BN next to my EBA fry. No, she didn't snack on them even though they were swimming all around her face.

Moved my L253 Sunshines into the pleco tank.

erinw347

My BN, I guess I have a male

jake37

I have no clue but my female doesn't' really have any bristles. Maybe she shaves ? I presume she is full grown as she is approx 16 months old. I have a male but they mostly ignore each other so no baby pleco for myself. Just as well they aren't the nicest looking plecos i've seen. Image quality isn't that great because I zoomed in - she is not camera friendly so if I get too close I don't get to take a picture. Now if she was a gold zebra the story would be different. They would pose and smile and do flips for the camera.

JoshYoungman

Just added Gloria my new Colombian Pleco

canadiankayte84

These are my 2 BN plecos.

Neptune is my male, the smaller one on the leaf. I've had him since January and the photo is actually older as he is very hard to get a decent photo of. He is in the 30 gallon tank with my larger female. He was very tiny when I got him from the LFS and now is close to 3 inches long and his bristles are coming in along the side of his nose and up (which is my guess that it's a male vs female)

Jupiter is actually a rehome. I got her when a friend found her and some other fish in an apartment, abandoned. So I rehomed them and they are thriving. I'm guessing she is about a year old. She is 5 inches from nose to tail, quite hefty too. She was shy but she is coming out more.

1 & 2: Jupiter, 5 inch female

Neptune, 3 inch male (old photo from about a month ago or so)

erinw347

He chewed a hole in the middle of the cucumber

JCM

My 3 babies!

Jeebbs

And if anyone knows the type its info I'd be interested in. Was listed simple as bn pleco at the lfs

erinw347

Jeebbs said:

And if anyone knows the type its info I'd be interested in. Was listed simple as bn pleco at the lfs
Looks like a Long finned BN pleco to me, probably a female because there’s no bristles around her mouth and face.

Wrench

Bill said:
Those are both really cool plecos I'm looking forward to my Queen Arabesque in the new year, even though it'll be very expensive..

Here is a photo I took today of YurI eating some courgette, flanked by his attendant Bolivian rams.

And another one; I just love the expression on the ram's face!
Hello, am I seeing them eat cucumber??? I have an albino pleco. I give him the wafer things. Is the cucumber more beneficial??
Thank you.

Dennis57

Wrench said:
Hello, am I seeing them eat cucumber??? I have an albino pleco. I give him the wafer things. Is the cucumber more beneficial??
Thank you.
cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, apples, bell peppers etc... are all good for most plecos

Wrench

Dennis57 said:
cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, apples, bell peppers etc... are all good for most plecos
Wow.....this is awesome news haha, that's cool

Dennis57

Wrench said:
Wow.....this is awesome news haha, that's cool
If you do feed them, make sure you take out the seeds. You can either blanch the vegtables or put it in the tank fresh. If they are fresh they will not sink so you will have to use something to keep it down.

jake37

Zucchini - is a lot better for them than cucumber - folks say to blanch but i feed it to them raw - just stick a plant weight in them and let em rip. A lot of different folks will nibble at it but the female bn goes nut for the stuff - sadly she keeps the flash pleco away - i should give him some in the back that she can't guard. I tried banana but no one would eat it (I had heard clown loaches loved the sugar but they ignored it).

Wrench said:
Thank you.

Wrench

jake37 said:
Zucchini - is a lot better for them than cucumber - folks say to blanch but i feed it to them raw - just stick a plant weight in them and let em rip. A lot of different folks will nibble at it but the female bn goes nut for the stuff - sadly she keeps the flash pleco away - i should give him some in the back that she can't guard. I tried banana but no one would eat it (I had heard clown loaches loved the sugar but they ignored it).
I'm not sure why this never dawned on me to give him veggies or fruit. But ya learn something new everyday. I am surely going to try this.

CHJ

I posted my pleco pics in the wrong thread.

Here are the 1-1.5" gibbys from Feb 8th.

Nugget who is close to as big and has food disputes with them. Finally happy and growing now that I have stopped blanching zuchs. I wish I had never been told to do that.

3 random plecos in the grow out. Cactus, Mustard, and I believe a Starlight.

And for those who like their L134s WIDE.

CHJ

lights out.

CHJ

Chubby!

That mop has been removed as his ondontodes trap him in it.

erinw347

My little boy is getting so big!! ❤

CHJ

jake37 said:
What kind of pleco is chubby - he looks a bit like a bn but has unsual colour.
Chubby pleco. AKA Rubber pleco (not rubber lip)
I believe some people also call them xantos? Or possibly pineapple plecos?

Dennis57

CHJ said:
I posted my pleco pics in the wrong thread.

Here are the 1-1.5" gibbys from Feb 8th.

Nugget who is close to as big and has food disputes with them. Finally happy and growing now that I have stopped blanching zuchs. I wish I had never been told to do that.

3 random plecos in the grow out. Cactus, Mustard, and I believe a Starlight.

And for those who like their L134s WIDE.
You dont feed them zucchini anymore? Whats the reason if you don't mind me asking

CHJ

Dennis57 said:
You dont feed them zucchini anymore? Whats the reason if you don't mind me asking
Oh they have zuchs to eat 24x76. I just don't blanch them anymore.
I was told to always blanch so I did until the LFS filled all their pleco tanks with zuchs from the Asian grocery I recommended.
He didn't blanch them and his nuggets were going crazy for them.
So I tried not blanching them and discovered that my "will not eat anything" nugget just hated the blanched ones but loved raw. My "will not eat anything" phantoms are also crazy for raw when they hated blanched. They also seem to now like the "snail bait" food that I considered a failure as only snails liked it, when trying to make cube food.
So from here on out I run raw zuchs.
I guess the "Always blanch" advice I got long ago isn't right for my plecos.
Now when it comes to broccoli I blanch and it still takes 24-48 hours for my BN to like the flavor. Once they like flavor they eat them in hours. I tried raw and that just added more time before they liked the flavor.
Spinach has always been raw and the BN eat it immediately. Nugget will not touch it in any form. Gibbys eat it immediately (lets face it Gibbys eat everything immediately. 2 days ago they found the datnoid's frozen blood worms and so the datnoids went a little light on food that day).
The adonis eats raw zuchs or spinach.
I throw Massivore in for the cactus. I never see them eat as they only come out when I'm in bed. I hope they like it. I really don't know what they are eating. The tank also has pond snails as they are supposed to like those.
L134s have moved to cheap flake as they like that more than shrimp pellets. Their tank is overrun with black worms they refused to eat.
So far no one will eat frozen raw shrimp (I have seen youtube videos of cactus eating them but mine will not). I could try that on the gibbys I bet they'd eat it (shrimp are a thing and gibbys eat everything).
Worms from the worm bin have also not been a favorite among my protein loving plecos. Not sure why, everyone usually loves worms.
Pumpkins are served raw.

Well as this post has run long in a photo thread I'd better post a photo.

2 chubbies and 4 other plecos (2 are just tails). 2 are starlights who quit being pretty (no more white seams or spots). one is a cactus(tial) and one is s mustardspot (tail). If I pulled it back further I could have gotten 2 cactus in the back (though one of those would also be a tail).
Hmm that might be a cactus blending into the wood above the pot on the right?

CHJ

jake37 said:
Sigh. I feel silly or something like that; when you said chubby i thought it was a nickname

I guess only time will tell if it will turn gold or grey ?
The yellow one actually turned more yellow as I sat down in the car to take it home. I do not count on either of them having a consistent color unless I can find something online on how to keep them pure gold.
At the LFS they were in a black tank.
Both had been in the store for 9-12 months and have changed color over that time. Originally the LFS had 3 pricing tiers brown > mottled > gold based on colors. The plecos responded to that by all changing color.
The only thing I have seen as a way to keep them gold was an aquabid seller who said if you bought from him/her, he/she'd give you the secret.

Here is this weeks pic of the gibbys. That is zuch drifting past in the background. The big one keeps trying to fight with the other and the other keeps not noticing. I credit the quality of their color and body shape with having zuchs available 24x7.

erinw347

A showdown....

BN won

erinw347

I added a cichlid cave, and he likes to sit with his face in it!

DarkOne

It's been a while. Here are a few of my plecos.

L134 Leopard Frog Plecos. 4 of 6.

L128 Blue Phantom and L253 Sunshine

L075 Para Pleco

Rubberlip Pleco. It's blurry b/c I had to zoom in to get the shot. He's a bit shy.

jake37

2 of my 6 lemons:

A third one and I do believe this one is going to be a male:

erinw347

How are there problems in the world when he exists?

jake37

Well... you don't really want to know.... would be nice if he could swallow all the problems in the world

erinw347 said:
How are there problems in the world when he exists?

StarGirl

jake37 said:
Well... you don't really want to know.... would be nice if he could swallow all the problems in the world
Jake what is the difference between Albinos and Lemons? Is it just eye color?

jake37

Mostly. I think the lemon have real yellow pigment and the albino have no pigment (in theory) after all they are albino. Now what I'm trying to figure out is what turn a bn pleco green....

Btw while I have a pile of lemon pleco with BLUE eyes (one cannot forget the blue eyes as they match the forktail rainbow's blue eyes and we want our fishes to have matching eyes); i'm mostly trying to move to flash pleco (l204) which I think are a lot nicer and easier to match to non-blue eye fishes.
-
of course albino match ram and angles eyes but well i'm not a fan of albino anything so i need a natural red eye pleco or the rams and angels need to stop getting salt in their eyes.

StarGirl said:
Jake what is the difference between Albinos and Lemons? Is it just eye color?

alleriarose

DarkOne

Moving day for my L134s.

alleriarose

alleriarose

green phantom named bruce banner
this is bubba
these are frankie harold and bob

this is bubba
better picture of bob

DarkOne

L253 Sunshine snacking on zucchini.

Demeter

I have 2 green dragons now, it was supposed to be just one but I needed one without a genetic deformity for breeding...

Here’s Nubs, he has a weird nose

And then there’s Camo, he’ll be paired with an albino before long.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom