Plecostomus not moving much Question

1. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I added a Plecostomus earlier today and it's still hiding under my driftwood. It's just hanging upside down on the wood. Is this normal adjustment or could it be scared of my other fish?

I added it as my fish were eating on the other end of the tank. None of the fish noticed me adding it. My electric yellow lab discovered it, but didn't seem to care. Hopefully I wake up tomorrow and the little guy is hard at work cleaning my tank.

2. bescher Member Member

Plecos are nocturnal creatures. Sometimes they will be out during the day we have a three inch one that likes nothing better to hide. You can find him if you look but hard sometimes. We have a four inch tree branch that has the inside drilled out and he loves staying in there during the day.
    Don't worry about him he sounds like he's fine

3. Andrew Sackett Member Member

Sounds normal for a pleco for me my BN pleco started being active in about a week he now eats in the morning with the other fish

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. DaniosRock Member Member

Plecos are nocturnal. They like to hide during the day and at night are generally slow moving but actively looking for algae. They also need a good and varied diet. They love algae wafers, blanched cucumber, zuccini, squash and shelled peas. Don't expect him to get all he needs from the algae in the tank. He will also appreciate some driftwood to rasp (chew).

5. delta5 Well Known Member Member

He's still in the same spot on the driftwood. I already have the wafers. I'll try to target feed it.

6. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Mine hid out for two days when I first got him. Unless he came out after I was a bed and he probably did. After about the third I would start seeing him in the early evenings and mornings moving around my tank on the gravel or the plants or the glass but if you walked up he would shoot for his hide away. It took about a week for him to get over that. He was. Baby barely an inch when I bought him though now he is about 3"

7. delta5 Well Known Member Member

This one is about 2.5". I put an algae tablet right under it and it hasn't touched it. The other fish are taking turns munching on it lol

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

What kind of pleco? I have a rubber lip that I only see about two or three times a week. He's strictly nocturnal. But my old BN would be out all the time.

9. delta5 Well Known Member Member

Its just a pleco. 24" max size. By the time it outgrows the 55g, i'll have a 75g. If, for whatever reason, I don't have a 75g. I will trade it in for another juvenile pleco.

10. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I had a rubber lip pleco also. He never came out at all and he did was chill in the back behind the driftwood. He only came out at night which was a bummer because I thought I would see him during the day time

11. k9z3boys Member Member

we've had our rubberlip for 2wks and we barely see him, we know he Is alive or we can see his tail as he hangs upside down under the driftwood....apparently its normal....

12. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Yeah he used to do that too