Plecostomus eat neons?

AcornTheBetta

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Can plecostomus eat neon tetras? The neons are disappearing.
Depends, what type of pleco? If you don't know send pics and I'll try to id it. Also, what is the full stocking of the tank? What size is the tank? Did you cycle it? What filter are you running?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
AcornTheBetta said:
Depends, what type of pleco? If you don't know send pics and I'll try to id it. Also, what is the full stocking of the tank? What size is the tank? Did you cycle it? What filter are you running?
Hi... I'm new to the aquarium world..2 weeks now. Adopted 5 rainbow fish, had 3 neon tetras (now only 1), and 2 plecostomus. It's a 60 gal tank U got from my cousin. The filter system has 2 flows/filters that is mildly flowing, a heater (at 74°), a bubbling system. The 6" plecostomus are very dark brown, has whiskers (1 whisker on each side of the mouth), and dark, round spots that are very pronounced on it's underside. Forgive me, I'm not sure what "cycle" means. Thanks for taking the time to help me. Took pic but picistmys hid behind plants.
 

Attachments

  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Hi... I'm new to the aquarium world..2 weeks now. Adopted 5 rainbow fish, had 3 neon tetras (now only 1), and 2 plecostomus. It's a 60 gal tank U got from my cousin. The filter system has 2 flows/filters that is mildly flowing, a heater (at 74°), a bubbling system. The 6" plecostomus are very dark brown, has whiskers (1 whisker on each side of the mouth), and dark, round spots that are very pronounced on it's underside. Forgive me, I'm not sure what "cycle" means. Thanks for taking the time to help me. Took pic but picistmys hid behind plants.
 

Attachments

mattgirl

Member
If the plecos you have look like this one I feel sure they will soon out grow your tank but to answer your question, no I don't think they will go after live neons but will eat them if they have died.
 

Dennis57

Member
In my 125 I have 7 different types of Plecos with over 21 neons and they never get eating.
I also have 3 other tanks with a few plecos and neons and they are all fine.
I doubt very much that the pleco is eating them.
 

Sputnik

Member
If you don’t know what cycling is that is probably the issue. Before you add fish to a tank you need to have cultivated a bacterial colony in your tank ( usually on filter media and other tank surfaces) to break down waste. If these bacteria are not present the fish will die from the ammonia they produce as urine. Many people do this before they get fish. This is called fishless cycling. Since you already have fish in the tank you need to do a fish in cycle- this is harder since you need to worry about both building up beneficial bacteria and the health of the fish until the bacteria reach high enough numbers to break down and neutralize harmful waste.
Since you are doing a fish in cycle- here is a great resource:
Emergency: Performing a Fish-in Cycle The RIGHT Way
Also, Maybe you were told fish can “ tough out” an uncycled tank- but not all of them can- it depends on their pre- existing health status. It’s also really hard on your new friends and even if they are healthy, they may suffer considerably and be more susceptible to disease if you don't take precautions. Water conditioner is key!
Basically you want to grow beneficial bacteria ( these live on surfaces not in water) that break down ammonia in fish waste that can burn the skin and gills and even kill fish in high concentrations. You need two kinds of bacteria for this- one that breaks ammonia down to nitrites (a less toxic but still dangerous breakdown product) and another that breaks down nitrites to nitrates. Nitrates are only slightly toxic, but you do have to keep those from getting too high too. Since no bacteria “eats” nitrates, you have to reduce them with periodic water changes. The bottom line is that you want to keep your levels of ammonia and nitrite at zero when there are fish in the tank to keep them healthy, but you also need ammonia and nitrite to feed and develop your colony of beneficial bacteria. This is where water conditioners come in. Some, like Seachem prime, can bind ammonia and nitrite for 24 to 48 hours, making it safe for fish but also keeping it available to feed your good bacteria. The link I sent goes through howto do this step by step. I would putchase an API frahwater madter kit and Seachem Prime right away. You can get them on Amazon. Once you have ythat sorted we should talk about the plecos. Good luck!
 

Mazeus

Member
Are you certain that is 60gallons? It doesn't look that big (although I appreciate it might just be the angle).
 

AcornTheBetta

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Hi... I'm new to the aquarium world..2 weeks now. Adopted 5 rainbow fish, had 3 neon tetras (now only 1), and 2 plecostomus. It's a 60 gal tank U got from my cousin. The filter system has 2 flows/filters that is mildly flowing, a heater (at 74°), a bubbling system. The 6" plecostomus are very dark brown, has whiskers (1 whisker on each side of the mouth), and dark, round spots that are very pronounced on it's underside. Forgive me, I'm not sure what "cycle" means. Thanks for taking the time to help me. Took pic but picistmys hid behind plants.
The 2 plecos could be getting territorial and aggressive and thinking the neons are invading their space. Cycle refers to the nitrogen cycle as Sputnik said.
 

Sputnik

Member
Mazeus said:
Are you certain that is 60gallons? It doesn't look that big (although I appreciate it might just be the angle).
Did you mean 60 liters ( about 15 gallons)?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
mattgirl said:
If the plecos you have look like this one I feel sure they will soon out grow your tank but to answer your question, no I don't think they will go after live neons but will eat them if they have died.
Thanks for your feedback. Here's a pic of the type of plecosts I have ( I have 2, 6").
 

Attachments

Sputnik

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Thanks for your feedback. Here's a pic of the type of plecosts I have ( I have 2, 6").
Those get REALLY BIG. Sorry you werent told before afopting them :(
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
Mazeus said:
Are you certain that is 60gallons? It doesn't look that big (although I appreciate it might just be the angle).
Hi...it is a guess..tried the online tank formulas and think it's 60. I did a quick measure...36Lx18Wx21H..it has a curved front glass.
 

Mazeus

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Hi...it is a guess..tried the online tank formulas and think it's 60. I did a quick measure...36Lx18Wx21H..it has a curved front glass.
Yep, that's 60g it must just be the angle of the picture.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
Mazeus said:
Yep, that's 60g it must just be the angle of the picture.
Thanks for confirming Mazeus.
 

mattgirl

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Thanks for your feedback. Here's a pic of the type of plecosts I have ( I have 2, 6").
They are 6 inches now but could be up to 12 inches before much longer and can conceivably grow up to 2 feet long. You may want to start looking for a new home for them sooner rather than later. I really wish fish stores would stop selling these guys to home hobbyists without telling them how big they will eventually get. :(
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
mattgirl said:
They are 6 inches now but could be up to 12 inches before much longer and can conceivably grow up to 2 feet long. You may want to start looking for a new home for them sooner rather than later. I really wish fish stores would stop selling these guys to home hobbyists without telling them how big they will eventually get. :(
Thanks for letting me know this important info...I will start looking for options for them...
 

Mcasella

Member
mattgirl said:
They are 6 inches now but could be up to 12 inches before much longer and can conceivably grow up to 2 feet long. You may want to start looking for a new home for them sooner rather than later. I really wish fish stores would stop selling these guys to home hobbyists without telling them how big they will eventually get. :(
People buy them anyway because they want an "allergy" eater (face palm).

Dominic9608 what rainbows do you have and how big are they? And the neons started disappearing after you got them?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dominic9608

Member
Mcasella said:
People buy them anyway because they want an "allergy" eater (face palm).

Dominic9608 what rainbows do you have and how big are they? And the neons started disappearing after you got them?
Hi Mcasella, I inherited the aquarium and fish from my cousin, who had them for years. I'm guessing that these are rainbow fish; 5 of them: 2 orange, 1 yellow, and 2 lime color, pic attached. When the blue light above the tank is on, that's when their colors are vibrant - see pic of some of them. There were 2 plecostomus, and 3 neons that were in the tank when I rec'd them, after 2 weeks, now only 1 neon left, and can't figure out what happened. :( Thanks for your help!
 

Attachments

Darwinthebloodparrot

Member
Those aren’t rainbow fish those are glo fish
 

Mcasella

Member
Dominic9608 said:
Hi Mcasella, I inherited the aquarium and fish from my cousin, who had them for years. I'm guessing that these are rainbow fish; 5 of them: 2 orange, 1 yellow, and 2 lime color, pic attached. When the blue light above the tank is on, that's when their colors are vibrant - see pic of some of them. There were 2 plecostomus, and 3 neons that were in the tank when I rec'd them, after 2 weeks, now only 1 neon left, and can't figure out what happened. :( Thanks for your help!
Very likely a change in water parameters can kill sensitive neons.
 

Dennis57

Member
Neon's are not like they were years ago, the slightest change in water parameters will set them off.
 
Top Bottom