PLECOSTOMUS - CATFISH

CAILEAG

Reaction score
HELLO MY NAME IS ELIZABETH AND I HAVE A SMALL FISH TANK.
WHAT I HAVE READ ON THE COMMENTS, I GOT TO THE CONCLUSION THAT MY PLECO SUFFERING FROM SPACE. IS FULL GROWN I GOT IT 3 YEARS AGO AND (I EVEN TALK TO HIM) BUT I GUESS IS NOT ENOUGH SPACE FOR HIM TO PLAY. MY TANK IS A 5 GALLON (13"L X 11.25"W X15.5"H) WHAT SHOULD I DO???? HE ONLY SHARES THE TANK WITH A BLACK NEON. SHOULD I GIVE IT AWAY?? OR JUST LEAVE IT IN THAT SMALL TANK? I CHANGE ALL THE WATER FROM THE TANK ONCE EVERY 6 WEEKS HE JUST CHANGES COLOR BUT THAT'S IT. PLEASE TELL MAKE SUGGESTIONS. THANK YOU!

NICE PAGE....

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! You probably have a common pleco, and in reality, they need at least a 55 gal. tank! You might be able to trade him in for credit at your local fish store, and use the credit for 4 more neons.

If you don't already know about the cycling process, please check out the sticky called FishLore Articles for Beginners. Cycling is a very important concept you must know to be successful in this hobby. Also, a 5 gallon tank is harder to maintain than a 50 gallon tank, because you have less water to work with to keep it stable. You should be commended for the great job you have done so far. Your pleco should have died long ago, but because of your care, he is still with us.

I'm also gonna move this thread to the beginners forum for more exposure!

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gunnie is right, that tank is a bit small for your Pleco, If getting a larger tank isnt an option, you could return him, but for me, parting with my fish is like giving my children away! Well done on keeping him healthy for so long!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom