Plecostomas

1. children11 Member Member

I have a Hi-Fin Leopard Plecostomas in my 72 gallon tank. There's about 10 mystery snails which kept dieing. I didn't know why until I saw my plecostomas had his face in the opening of the shell, sucking on it. My plecostomas is killing my snails. I've never seen a plecostomas do this.

Is there not enough algea for him? My tank is clear but I'm sure there's algea on the trees and stuff. I've seen him suck on the shell of the snails.

Should I feed him a pellet once a week?

Why do you think he's killing my snails? So far about 5 snails died within the past week. All my other fish are doing good and I tested the water which is fine.

Any suggestions?

Thank You

Bernice

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure why he is eatting your snails, most likely hungary. You need to be feeding him algae wafers daily, drop one in before lights out. Also needs fresh veggies like blanched zuccinni, cucumber ect. He can't survive on algae alone.

3. children11 Member Member

Thank you for your reply. Are you talking about cucumbers that we (people) eat? Or do they sell cucumber food for fish in pet stores? I had plecostomas before and never feed them any of that and they got big and lived long.

I want to do right for my fish. Do I just drop a piece of cucumber in the tank? How often?

Any information will be appreciated.

Thank You

Bernice

4. MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

Possibly he could be eating them after they are already dead. My fish eat my snails when they die.

5. thorpbrian Member Member

I gotta agree with aleyska, you should be feeding him a algae wafer once a day. And, yes, regular zucchini's that people eat is what she was talking about.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

He also needs a tiny bit of protein also. a couple of shrimp pellets once a week will suffice. Many fish who suck on/ eat snails and other fish when normally they don't are missing protein in their diet. Pleco, bristlenose etc don't need much but do need some protein.
    And as was stated the snails may have been dead already and they will scavenge.
    Carol

7. David C Well Known Member Member

Take a cucumber (like humans eat) and cut a slice off, throw it in the microwave for 15seconds (blanching it) and put it in the bottom of the tank under a rock to hold it down before lights out. Once he finds it you will find it to be one of his favorite treats. Remove the remnants in the morning.

Dave

8. gremlin Well Known Member Member

My plecos will eat snails that are still alive. I have 2 sailfins. They eat 6-8 algae wafers a night, plus any of the pond snails that hitchhike in on the mossy rocks I bring in. I also drop in complete omnivore sinking tablets (4 - 6 per night). The fish in the tank are 2 sailfin plecos (10 1/2 inches and 11 inches long), one chinese algae eater, 3 cory cats.

9. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

I feed my Pleco a slice of zucchini every day. He loves it. I use a round slice and when he's done it looks like a perfect little bowl. He also gets leftovers from food that I feed to the other fish. Every morning he is in the same spot waiting for his zucchini! lol too funny.
    Ken
    :animal0068:Hello. I have also moved your thread to the Catfish/Pleco section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.
    Thanks!
    Ken