Plecos

1. benharmer87 Member Member

I have a 55g tank with 6 black skirt tetras, two cory's, two angels. My wife came home yesterday with two plecos. I know they get big but don't know how fast they grow. Should I take one back? All the fish are no bigger than two inches

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If they're 'common' plecs then they will indeed get very big. I'd take them back as they'll be hard to rehome once they get big & I believe they grow quite quickly while young but slow down as they mature.

3. benharmer87 Member Member

So I should take both of these them back

What other type of plecos are there. I heard a here are others that dont grow so big. Should I get more corys? What type of fish is a good top swimmer?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bristlenose plecs don't get very big, around 4-5", you could have one in your tank.
    I wouldn't advise getting a pair as they're quite prolific breeders once they get started.
    There are other smaller plecs, have a look on Planet catfish.
    Corys should be kept in groups of 6+ of their own kind, so whichever ones you have then get some more of the same

5. benharmer87 Member Member

Thank you. They're going back today. I have one peppered cory. Other is unknown. He came with the tank. He is short and fat. But I'll get some more of those. What do you recommend for top swimmers?

6. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Zebra plecs do stay small. and are absolutely beautiful, but a little shy; they are also very, very expensive.
    If you go with a BN, remember to add some driftwood, as they sort of graze on it, perhaps as an aid to digestion, I have no idea.
    Also remember to feed them directly, I use algae wafers at night, rather than expecting them to live solely on algae living in the tank. It will not decrease their appetite for that algae, but rather, sort of in the manner that a well fed healthy cat makes for a better mouser, might well increase it.----rick

Most danios seem to stay near the top, hatchetfish also exclusively there.
    With hatchetfish, though, cover your tank well, as they do jump.-rick

7. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member