Pleco's not hungry? Question

1. bruiser

bruiser Valued Member Member

Hey all, my new Bristle Nose, doesn't seem to be at all interested in algae wafers. There isn't much algae in my tank but he's always sucking on something.. but at feeding time I toss in a algae wafer, and he doesn't touch it. I even tried right before bed.. Thought he might want it in the dark.. but that doesn't change anything either.

I'm all out of ideas..

any suggestion?

Thanks.
    Chris.

2. play

play Valued Member Member

Does he eats them at all.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

try giving him cucumber or zucchini

4. OP
    OP
    bruiser

no, no interest in them at all..

if I give him veggies, do I just toss in some little pieces?

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Bruiser. My Pleco loves a slice of zucchini every morning. I slice it so it's round and not long. I use plant weights stuck in the bottom of it to weigh it down. Rinse it off before you add it to the tank. It might take a time or two before he realizes that it's food. I don't do anything special to the zucchini other than slice it, weight it and then toss it in. He loves it! Whatever is left after a couple of hours I remove it.
    Ken

6. Meenu

I think it can take a while for them to realize that it is food. some fish love the taste of garlic - I wonder if soaking it in garlic juice would help?

7. OP
    OP
    bruiser

I'm going to give the algae wafers one last try..I put a couple real small pieces in. So if they don't disappear with a couple hours I'm switching to veggies!

8. Meenu

recently I read someone on here recommend growing algae (sorry, don't remember who) by putting rocks in water in a dish in direct sunlight for a few days, then put an algae-covered rock into the tank. You could try this if there isn't enough algae.

I had a pleco many years ago (in a 2.2 gallon with 2 fish - gosh, I was dumb back them)... I am pretty sure it starved to death. I had NO clue that it needed additional food, not just the algae naturally in the tank.

9. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Hmm, well maybe I'll give that a try then! I some small rocks I took out of another tank. Its not gonna hurt anything to try anyways.

Thanks!

10. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

you may also just want to give him a little time to adjust to the new tank :) i'm not sure how recently you got him, but if it's only been a day or two he may still be getting acclimated to the new tank and the water conditions and all that. good luck!

11. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Okay, that kinda crossed my mind too.. I think I'm one of these people that cares too much about all these little things.. haha

12. agabr123

agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

lol, that's okay! it's good to be attentive and know when your fish isn't feeling quite right :)

13. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I'd give it a few days at least as well. Like Agabr said it could still be getting used to the new surroundings & might not have clicked that those green things are food yet. Most of my BN take a week or so before they start sucking on the wafers I give them. Try dropping it as close as you can to the fish so that it is more likely to come across them. That is usually why it takes so long for mine to start eating, they have to come across it & spend more than a second on top of it before they realise they can eat it. Once they know it is a food source you can start dropping them in at the usual place you want them to eat. Once they get used to where & when, they will be waiting for you every day ready to grab thier tablet or cucumber or whatever.

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning!

Nutter is right. My Pleco is in the same place every morning, after the lights come on, waiting for his slice of zucchini. He likes the algae wafers too and I've even seen him on the Romaine lettuce I feed to my Silver Dollars.

The algae covered rocks are a good idea however he'll eat it all up in no time. He/she will surely need additional food. I added a terracotta urn to my 265g a while back during the big move and it was covered in the prettiest green algae. The next morning it was all gone. Also, I never clean the back glass in any of my aquariums. I just keep a black background on it, nothing fancy. I like the moss look and I think it's beneficial for my tanks. Some algae is good! :)

Give your Pleco plenty of time to acclimate to his new environment. When he's ready to make his presence known he will :)

Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Ken

15. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Thanks guys, I`m gonna get some veggies for him tomorrow morning and try that. Give the wafers another try in a week or so.

16. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Hey, I just threw a piece of zucchini in for the BN, and its just floating around at the top.. he doesn't even know its there.. Should I leave it for an hour to see if he gets it and if not, take it out?

17. Meenu

I'd personally leave it overnight, fish it out in the morning.

18. OP
    OP
    bruiser

Okay I just didn't want it to rot.. I already took it out, but maybe I'll toss another piece in.. the BN didn't even know it was there.

Do I just let it float around, or can I do something to make it sink?

Thanks!

19. Meenu

put a rock on it from the tank or something, it should stay down

20. B

BradFromAus New Member Member

I saw someone stick the handle of a teaspoon in a slice to hold it down which I thought was a good idea