plecos eatin habits

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
is it strange my pleco eats fresh garlic?, and if not can I also give it other vegetables?....how I found it ate garlic is a book in its self so pls. no "answers", "questions" on how I found it ate garlic...will puttin veggies in my tank... contaminate? so many questions so little time?... thx 4 ur time ....Clint

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow! Eventhough I have recommended soaking flakes and pellets in garlic juice for fish that aren't eating, I never thought about feeding it to my plecos! Garlic is supposed to be good for fish to keep away parasites. Thanks for sharing this tip!

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gunnie said:
Wow! Eventhough I have recommended soaking flakes and pellets in garlic juice for fish that aren't eating, I never thought about feeding it to my plecos! Garlic is supposed to be good for fish to keep away parasites. Thanks for sharing this tip!
thx for ur reply..thx 4 ur time ...clint

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gunnie said:
It has the same effect on humans as well.
Tom

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi clint i give my 2 plecs cucumber 'which they love' and a potato cut in half . i use a rubber band to attach the cucumber to a rock leave it in for few hours and straight away the plecs will go for it. i don't leave the cucumber in for long periods in case it will pollute the water slightly but i doubt it will. my gouramis/shark etc also like the cucumber.' I'm glad they do coz i cant stand the thing!'

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
arfon said:
hi clint i give my 2 plecs cucumber 'which they love' and a potato cut in half . i use a rubber band to attach the cucumber to a rock leave it in for few hours and straight away the plecs will go for it. i don't leave the cucumber in for long periods in case it will pollute the water slightly but i doubt it will. my gouramis/shark etc also like the cucumber.' I'm glad they do coz i cant stand the thing!'
Thx, right on...thx 4 ...ur time ...Clint

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Clint said:
is it strange my pleco eats fresh garlic?, and if not can I also give it other vegetables?....how I found it ate garlic is a book in its self so pls. no "answers", "questions" on how I found it ate garlic...will puttin veggies in my tank... contaminate? so many questions so little time?... thx 4 ur time ....Clint
I'll definitely try that, thanks. Wonder if it floats. I'll give it a go and see.

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
cucumber will float if unattached so it would benefit the top feeders . but the plecs i have are too shy to go to top of surface to get their food. you will find plecs will love the cucumber so i treat them maybe 2 times a week to a generous portion. if left in tank too long it can be a little messy to take out. gouramis/red tailed shark/clown loaches etc all like a bit of the cucumber but my plecs are a decent size now to fight hem off for it ;D

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
arfon said:
cucumber will float if unattached so it would benefit the top feeders .  but the plecs i have are too shy to go to top of surface to get their food. you will find plecs will love the cucumber so i treat them maybe 2 times a week to a generous portion.  if left in tank too long it can be a little messy to take out. gouramis/red tailed shark/clown loaches etc all like a bit of the cucumber but my plecs are a decent size now to fight  hem off for it  ;D
Sorry, should have been clearer. Wondered if garlic floated. Took me ages to find a good solution to my floating cucumber.

arfon

Valued Member
Reaction score
after i posted the reply i wondered if you meant the garlic lol. oh well. good luck with garlic! ;D

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Clint said:
Can't ask you any questions? Well I'll try anyway. It's give and take, what can I say?

I tried garlic, but it really makes my water stink. how did you manage to avoid that? Also, did you serve the garlic clove whole, just parboiled, or did you slice it?

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
u find plecos shy to go to top?mine goes to top so fast if i did not have a lid and light i would find it on the floor it has also pushed many of my other fish out of the tank GOD rest there souls...thx 4 ur time...Clint
arfon said:
cucumber will float if unattached so it would benefit the top feeders . but the plecs i have are too shy to go to top of surface to get their food. you will find plecs will love the cucumber so i treat them maybe 2 times a week to a generous portion. if left in tank too long it can be a little messy to take out. gouramis/red tailed shark/clown loaches etc all like a bit of the cucumber but my plecs are a decent size now to fight hem off for it ;D

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard of plecos pushing open a tank top!

Clint

Valued Member
Reaction score
Gee thx now I got another worry? LOL...Thx 4 ur time...Clint
armadillo said:
Yeah, I heard of plecos pushing open a tank top!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom