Plecos and spider wood?

AggressiveAquatics

Hey guys.
I ordered some spider wood off Amazon and was wondering could a plecos still get their wood needs from this. I only ask because the one I bought is fairly skinny. I don’t have the pleco yet but it will probably be a clown

Mike1995

I have a few clown plecos in my 20g with a few pieces of spider wood. they definitely seem to be getting what they need from it. However over time I'll probably have to add more. I've noticed that the wood has gotten a bit smaller from them eating it

AggressiveAquatics

[
Thanks!

DoubleDutch

Personally I'd add some different wood as well. Spiderwood is pretty "new" wood cause it are "treated" roots of an Azalea.
Clowns love to eat softened wood / the outer layer.

AggressiveAquatics

DoubleDutch said:
Personally I'd add some different wood as well. Spiderwood is pretty "new" wood cause it are "treated" roots of an Azalea.
Clowns love to eat softened wood / the outer layer.
Then what about a bn pleco will that be ok for spider wood?

DoubleDutch

AggressiveAquatics said:
Then what about a bn pleco will that be ok for spider wood?
To me it will. BN's don't really eat / need wood in their diet like clowns do.
BN's mainly use it as hiding place and munching algae from the surface.
Clowns simply die if there isn't any wood. BN's won't

A201

Maybe add a piece of Malaysian DW. It's a very dense dark wood. The wood munching Plecos I've kept in the past did well with it & it will not be whittled away quite as fast as other woods.

AggressiveAquatics

A201 said:
Maybe add a piece of Malaysian DW. It's a very dense dark wood. The wood munching Plecos I've kept in the past did well with it & it will not be whittled away quite as fast as other woods.
I think I’ll end up doing spider wood with a bn instead of a clown would that be ok

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom