plecos and salt

mlinden84
Are plecos ok in a tank with aquarium salt? I'm "rescuing" one on monday from a 10 gallon tank, and I wanted to add it to my 55 gallon african cichlid tank. But the tank has salt added to it, and I wanted to make sure the new pleco would be ok.

Butterfly
Most Plecs don't appreciate salt at all. Double checked at Plecofanatics and the general consensus is that plecs don't like salt. sorry
Carol

Tom
I know if you put a very small portion in, the fish will be able to tolerate it and it is more like the natural state of the rivers. I have maybe 1-2 tbls/30 gallons, instead of the recommended 1 tbls/10 gallons. This way, they get a lot less then the recommended dosage and will be fine. Hope it helps.
Tom

mlinden84
ok thanks!

Butterfly
Tom I didn't know you had plecs in that tank.
carol

Tom
Tom I didn't know you had plecs in that tank.
carol

Which tank did you think I was talking about? I am talking about my 36 and 37 gallon tanks.
Tom

mlinden84
Is it better to just slowly acclimate them to the "salty" water, or to start with minimal salt and add it over a few days to the desired amount?

Butterfly
Which tank did you think I was talking about? I am talking about my 36 and 37 gallon tanks.
Tom
I thought you only had salt in one tank and was wondering if that one had a plec in it.
Carol

sirdarksol
Is it better to just slowly acclimate them to the "salty" water, or to start with minimal salt and add it over a few days to the desired amount?

I would very slowly acclimate them to a minimal amount of salt, and then take at least a week to bring them up to the level Tom suggested.

Tom
I thought you only had salt in one tank and was wondering if that one had a plec in it.
Carol

The 36 has 2 plecos(rubbernose and clown) and the 37 has 3 plecos(3 L52).
Tom

mlinden84
What happens if there is too much salt for the pleco? Are there some signs I should look for that he doesn't like it ?

Dino
Plecos do not like salt.
Salt is an irritant, which causes the fish to increase slime coat production.
The fish will start scratching and rubbing on objects when the salt level gets too high.

In my experience, hypostamus species handle it better than other genera, but none of them need it or do better with it added.

mlinden84
He's 3-4 inches long in a 10 gallon tank right now (with 5 other fish). Would I be able to put him in my 20 gallon until he got a little bigger, or would it be better to put him in the 55 gallon right off ? I figured this way I wouldn't have to worry about the salt problem , but I don't want to do this if it will effect him negatively. (I plan on putting the fish in my 20 gallon for a few weeks to quarantine them)

Chief_waterchanger
The 55 gallon would be awesome for him.... for another year. If it is a hypostomus it will get to 18 inches, and need a 110g tank. A 75 gallon would not be wide enough for the fish to comfortably move around.

mlinden84
The 55 gallon would be awesome for him.... for another year. If it is a hypostomus it will get to 18 inches, and need a 110g tank. A 75 gallon would not be wide enough for the fish to comfortably move around.

I've already started saving for a larger tank, I hope to get a 125 gallon by next summer, so I'll have the bigger tank by the time he needs it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
goldface
Replies
Views
Cholo Anderzon
Replies
Views
angelcraze
Replies
Views