Plecos and Mollies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a problem with trying to feed my Bristlenose Pleco. Every time I drop an algae wafer in the tank, I feed the Mollies with flakes. The problem is after the flakes are gone and the wafer sinks to the bottom, the Mollies start eating the algae wafer. As I watched tonight, the pleco ate off the algae wafer for about 2-3 minutes before the Mollies realized it was there and then they scared her off and started munching on it. I've considered dropping another algae wafer in the tank, but I don't want to overfeed and cause problems. Would it be alright to drop another wafer in the tank so the pleco can eat something without overfeeding?

It also causes a problem between the Mollies because the biggest one guards the wafer and nips at the others that come near it.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
well, you could skip the mollies' flakes when they get the wafer. You could also try feeding fresh zucchini to the BN - the mollies may share, but there will be plenty to go around.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah the zucchini is on the grocery list, just haven't made it out yet. Would dropping two or three wafers in the tank hurt my water parameters?

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
plecos are also nocturnal so wait until you have the light out then drop the wafers in.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
plecos are also nocturnal so wait until you have the light out then drop the wafers in.
Yes! Great answer! This is what I do with my Pleco. I feed my other fish/frogs, then later on I shut the lights off, after about half an hour and the other fish are ''sleeping'' I drop an algae wafer in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom