Question Plecos And Driftwood

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
To keep it simple, which plecos need driftwood other than clowns, and why? How long can a clown pleco go without it, and can they recover from not having it for an extended amount of time?
DoubleDutch ?

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
To keep it simple, which plecos need driftwood other than clowns, and why? How long can a clown pleco go without it, and can they recover from not having it for an extended amount of time?
DoubleDutch ?
Pardon me for tagging on to your post, but also what is the best kind of driftwood? I know mopanI is too hard, but what about malaysian? Manzanita?

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Morpheus1967 said:
Pardon me for tagging on to your post, but also what is the best kind of driftwood? I know mopanI is too hard, but what about malaysian? Manzanita?
Sure, no problem at all as that's something I will need answered too

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
DoubleDutch ?
Panaquolus species are known to need viber / wood to keep their bacterial flora growing. Ancistrus are said to benefit of it but don't really need it like Clowns.

The mentioned wood type are softer than MopanI and will slowly decay / get softer which make it possible to scrape it of (English ?)

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok, so I have 4 types of plecos: clown, common, bn, gold spot. The only one that needs it is the clown correct?
The clowns are in my grandparents tank and I totally forgot they needed driftwood until now, I would say it's been 2-3 months without it. How much do you think that impacted their health and do you think it would be possible for them to recover at this point?

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
nikm128 said:
Ok, so I have 4 types of plecos: clown, common, bn, gold spot. The only one that needs it is the clown correct?
The clowns are in my grandparents tank and I totally forgot they needed driftwood until now, I would say it's been 2-3 months without it. How much do you think that impacted their health and do you think it would be possible for them to recover at this point?
To me that is correct. No idea. Does it look healthy ?

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My Bristlenose loves my spiderwood

OP
nikm128

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
DoubleDutch said:
To me that is correct. No idea. Does it look healthy ?
I think it's a bit thin, doesn't seem to have much of an appetite either

New Threads