*Pleco*

JiMZz

Reaction score

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A common pleco can get as big as 10-12 inches. They also grow very fast, in a 30 gallon tank he will still grow until he is too big for that tank. I would say in a year he will be his adult size but long before then he needs a bigger tank.
I see in your signature you want an oscar, you know they need big tanks also
Welcome to FishLore, there are people of all ages and experience levels here so make your self at home. Stop in at the welcome forum and let us welcome you properly
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
how many inches before a pleco is too big for a 30 gallon?? i now when you measure not to include the tail-- mine is about 1.75 inches!!! and i'vehad him for only 7 months!! LILA

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Large fish not only need room to lay but room to swim and turn around. Pleco are also huge waste producers and get more so as they grow. In a tank that size it will really be hard to keep the Nitrates and ammonia down due to that. They also tend to knock over decorations and uproot plants just moving around in the tank.
Now don't get me wrong I love plecos but just want you to understand they need lots of room.
Lila I'm not sure what kind of pleco you have but commons usually grow very fast.
Carol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
shoot-- i'm having another MTS moment!!! LILA I am going to look into what kind he is-- not quite sure :-\ LILA

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yup ... ONE oscar needs at least a 50 gallon tank. And if you want an adult pleco together with that oscar ... I'd say you should get at least a 100 gallon tank ... (that would be best for your fish if they are to live good lives). So maybe you should resign from the pleco and the oscar and, instead, get some smaller fish that are compatible with a 30 gallon tank that you want? Also, don't think angels mix well with gouramis. Anybody? Do they?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom