pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by cbowlincatfish, Dec 28, 2012.

1. cbowlincatfish

cbowlincatfish Valued Member Member

I find this a little strange, my big boy for 2 days has been coming out during the day looking for food, he use to do this when he was little but changed as he grew bigger.I am wondering if he could be hunger. I put plenty of wafers and food in the tank for him.
    Any thoughts.

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Most plecos also benefit from fresh vegetables in their diet. I offer mine zuchinni, cucumber, kale, spinach and peas. I would make these available to yours, you can leave them in a day and replace.

Also, a source of driftwood is recommended for many plecos, some eat it, most all will graze on it and it aids in their digestion.

3. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I have a piece of driftwood in my tank but never see any of my plecos near it. I have zuccini, romain lettuce and sea weed in my tank, I have at times given them cucumber but it leaves a slimy film in the tank. I didn't know about the kale and spinach but are those safe for my Silver Dollars cause they are liable to eat them. As for the peas, I heard to give frozen I assume you thaw them out and toss them in.

4. Matt B

My barbs eat the lettuce, spinach and kale so I believe it would be fine for you SD's. For the peas I thaw them out, remove the outer hull and toss them in, all my fish love them

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

As for food in the tank, if you can eat the food in its natural form, so can the fish.

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There's nothing wrong with keeping the fish a little hungry. Well fed plecos have a tendency to not eat algae. Or, I guess I should say that hungry plecos turn to algae.

I've found that my plecos are out and about (during the day, lights off) more when it's an overcast day. Fish in the wild are always more active, and bolder, when it's cloudy because it provides them with protection from predators.

7. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Just curious what kind of driftwood is in the tank? It's not too hard is it?

It's amazing what a pleco can do the the silicone of a tank. I bought a very nice 10g on CL once as a QT tank and the seller had a pleco in it and the sicone was all chewd up. They had that poor stunted fish in that tank for 7 or 9 years. All plastic decor, btw. I've seen some other larger tanks chewed up even worse than that 10g.

8. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I do not know what type of driftwood it is, I got it from the lps, it was the last piece they had and it is very dark. Should I get a different piece.

9. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

I think the most important questions is, what kind of pleco is it?

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Agreed, not all pelcos are wood eaters.

11. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

I think it can only be benefical to have some kind of wood in the tank with any pleco. the may not be wood eaters but they can feed on the detritus in an on the wood, I have a royal pleco L27 and over night he will completely rasp clean a piece of drift wood. there are five pieces of wood in that tank and he only ever eats the one, so maybe you have to find the kind he likes

12. Matt B

Though it may not make up a large portion of the diet of all plecos its my
    understanding most will graze on it.

cbowlin catfish- My Bn's like grapevine alot.

13. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

I have 2 common plecos and a yellow pleco, my largest is 12" long. I didn't know there where different types of driftwood, what types are there.

14. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

The 2 commons are too big for that tank. a 12" common needs a bigger space away from other commons as they don't stay nice with eachother for long. Commons get up to 2 feet is not a little over and are best suited for pond life. The yellow sounds like an albino BN?

15. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

Not an albino an actual yellow pleco.

16. Msheresy

Msheresy Valued Member Member

Yellow? Got pics?

17. soltarianknight

Uh, got a scientific name? Albino BNs are yellow.

18. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have L144's which are naturally occuring yellow plecos. They look like albino BN except their eyes are blue or black. Could yours be like that?
    carol

19. soltarianknight

Thats the Black eye'd ABN right?

20. OP
    OP
    cbowlincatfish

It has black eyes, no pics, it hide most of the time but as soon as I can get a pic I will post it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice