Pleco Won't Leave Cave

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by LCB0612, Apr 11, 2018.

?

Remove the cave?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. L

LCB0612 New Member Member

In 2012 I bought my 2 y.o. Bristlenose pleco a cave from plecocaves and he started using it right away. He comes out very infrequently and in the past 6 years I have seen him out about 20 times. Should I remove his cave or leave him be? BTW, vegetables and food will not coax him out. The only thing that did were several live ghost shrimp which were for my Bolivian ram which he (pleco) ended up eating. I have driftwood as well. He also stays inside if I need to remove him for a water change. He just sits in the cave and I remove the whole thing with him inside.

2. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Let the pleco be a pleco. Don’t see him that much? Too bad :p.

3. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

The only part of my clown pleco I see is the tip of his tail.

4. OP
    OP
    L

LCB0612 New Member Member

Lol, my bristlenose outgrew his cave years ago, he's gotta be 8 inches long now. I see his back half only.

5. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

My clown doesn't even have a cave. He has the underside of a large piece of wood that has a crevice that he can fit in. He's still itty bitty. Maybe 2 inches long. 3 at most.

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I would get him a larger cave if he is that big, something he can turn around in comfortably and place it beside the other, they normally pick one that fits them (my long fin male picked the larger mouthed cave even though I put his old cave in the tank he moved to).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice