Pleco with swim bladder issues

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a pleco who is unable to lay upright. His right side pulls him upward, and he tips onto his side or back. I'm guessing that this is swim bladder issues, but I'm not absolutely sure. Any ideas on what is going on or how to treat?

0 ammonia
0 nitrites
~10 nitrates
Heater is working properly (not to high, not to low)

This may be a communicable issue. A couple of days ago, this pleco was on the substrate, rather than the walls. Now, the other pleco is on the substrate. Still swimming fine, but I don't see her up on the walls like she normally is.
Edit: The obviously sick pleco's coloring is severely faded. It is possible that the other one's coloring is faded, as well.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I went online and did a search. It said that when plecos have swimming issues, they could be constipated. Maybe you can try some pea?

It also mentioned a parasite or infection, but it wasn't specific enough to explain what type of meds to treat with.

I'll keep searching, but hopefully that'll help while we keep working on this.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I thought about the pea. The problem is that I can't get them to recognize anything other than algae as food.
I am going to try to get my hands on a type of pleco food that's made with willow and alder wood. Apparently they go nuts for the stuff. Maybe that would help a constipation issue.
Thanks for the help.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The poor little guy didn't make it. He died while I was out finding the food.
He must have been pretty far gone. On the upside, the bigger one is tooling around the aquarium without any seeming issues. Also, I found a really cool rock while I was out.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm really sorry. It stinks when we can't figure out exactly what's going on.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm so sorry, SDS.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads