Question pleco with plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was wondering how a pleco would be in my new planted tank. when the pleco gets bigger will he end up destroying the plants when he swims through them? the plants I am going to have are Brazilian penny-wort, onion plant, elodea (anacharis), giant hygrophila, valisneria, amazon sword, cryptocoryne, and dwarf hair-grass. my main concern is the Giant hygro.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishLore!
Depends on the type of pleco
Carol

Last edited:

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you!
oh sorry I ment the hypostomus plecostomus; the common plec
I didn't have problems with mine eating the plants but as he got bigger he was like a buldozer knocking plants over and uprooting them.
You know this fella gets 12 inches or better and is a huge waste producer so will need a big tank somewhere down the line .
Carol

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A common pleco will grow way to big for 55gal tank. Might I suggest a clown pleco or BN pleco. I have both in my 65Gal planted. Well it was a nice planted tank until my barbs ate my plants.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
actually this is not for my 55 gal. it is for a tank still in the planning stages. I am aware of how big they get and I will have a large enough tank for him. I do really like the BN but unfortunately no one sells them out here
also I build large custom filters for all my tanks and along with frequent water changes I am not to worried about waste.
Thanks for your comments

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I love how the different Pleco look and would love to have accommodations for several large pleco. good Luck.
Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom