pleco with plants? Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by NMfishman, Apr 12, 2010.

1. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering how a pleco would be in my new planted tank. when the pleco gets bigger will he end up destroying the plants when he swims through them? the plants I am going to have are Brazilian penny-wort, onion plant, elodea (anacharis), giant hygrophila, valisneria, amazon sword, cryptocoryne, and dwarf hair-grass. my main concern is the Giant hygro.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    Depends on the type of pleco :)
    Carol

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

Thank you! :;hi1
    oh sorry I ment the hypostomus plecostomus; the common plec

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I didn't have problems with mine eating the plants but as he got bigger he was like a buldozer knocking plants over and uprooting them.
    You know this fella gets 12 inches or better and is a huge waste producer so will need a big tank somewhere down the line :).
    Carol

5. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

A common pleco will grow way to big for 55gal tank. Might I suggest a clown pleco or BN pleco. I have both in my 65Gal planted. Well it was a nice planted tank until my barbs ate my plants.

6. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

actually this is not for my 55 gal. it is for a tank still in the planning stages. I am aware of how big they get and I will have a large enough tank for him. I do really like the BN but unfortunately no one sells them out here :(
    also I build large custom filters for all my tanks and along with frequent water changes I am not to worried about waste.
    Thanks for your comments

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I love how the different Pleco look and would love to have accommodations for several large pleco. good Luck.
    Carol