pleco with plants? Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by NMfishman, Apr 12, 2010.

1. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I was wondering how a pleco would be in my new planted tank. when the pleco gets bigger will he end up destroying the plants when he swims through them? the plants I am going to have are Brazilian penny-wort, onion plant, elodea (anacharis), giant hygrophila, valisneria, amazon sword, cryptocoryne, and dwarf hair-grass. my main concern is the Giant hygro.

2. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    Depends on the type of pleco :)
    Carol

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

Thank you! :;hi1
    oh sorry I ment the hypostomus plecostomus; the common plec

4. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I didn't have problems with mine eating the plants but as he got bigger he was like a buldozer knocking plants over and uprooting them.
    You know this fella gets 12 inches or better and is a huge waste producer so will need a big tank somewhere down the line :).
    Carol

5. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

A common pleco will grow way to big for 55gal tank. Might I suggest a clown pleco or BN pleco. I have both in my 65Gal planted. Well it was a nice planted tank until my barbs ate my plants.

6. NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

actually this is not for my 55 gal. it is for a tank still in the planning stages. I am aware of how big they get and I will have a large enough tank for him. I do really like the BN but unfortunately no one sells them out here :(
    also I build large custom filters for all my tanks and along with frequent water changes I am not to worried about waste.
    Thanks for your comments

7. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I love how the different Pleco look and would love to have accommodations for several large pleco. good Luck.
    Carol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice