Pleco With Loaches?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Wickette, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Wickette

WicketteValued MemberMember

Ive heard conflicting things. Can/should a single pleco be added (a species that maxes out <5") to a 50gal tank that has 6 gold zebra loaches? I was told either loaches OR plecos but not both, but Im not sure why.

If its a bottom dweller thing I also have 3 bolivian rams (i dont think thats a factor, mentioning it just in case). I dont have anything that eats algae so there shouldnt be competition there.

2. Lance0414

Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

What type of Pleco are you thinking of? A BN or Clown might work.

3. david1978

david1978Fishlore VIPMember

That one I never heard before. I don't see any reason you can't have a smaller species of pleco. There are many now in the aquarium trade.

4. OP
    OP
    Wickette

I wanted to see if its ok before even researching the species available locally (there are a lot of options),my tank is 75% stocked so whatever I pick has to thrive in the parameters I already have.

80°F, pH 6.8, gH 8° planted (so it has to be gentle on leaves) and no drift wood

5. DuaneV

DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Ive had a few Pleco species with Loach species a number of times and never had an issue. Neither are aggressive, so I dont see what the issue would be. A Clown or Bristlenose would be perfect.

6. OP
    OP
    Wickette

One of the 5 petcos within 10miles of me has these black ones with small yellowish white dots on it. Thats what made me want a pleco. Kinda looked like an adonis pleco but for$4.49 I doubt thats what it was

7. david1978

Gold dust pleco?

8. OP
    OP
    Wickette

could be. Or 6 other types that show up image searching. was buying plants at the time,didnt pay close attention to the sign, just the price

9. david1978

That's true there are so many different ones available nowadays.

10. OP
    OP
    Wickette

Follow up question (opposite question from what most people ask).

I can feed a pleco algae wafers plus whatever I feed the rest of my fish, I dont have to have algae growth in the tank for them to thrive, right?

11. DuaneV

Clowns HAVE to have wood in the tank. Its pretty much all mine eats. Even when I put veggies in he wont touch them. And yeah, theyll eat algae wafers, but there are better things out there.

12. OP
    OP
    Wickette

do all plecos need wood?

(because thats not happening)

13. david1978

I believe most do. I'm sure we can help you find something.

Morning wood gell food seems to be a substitute for driftwood. This is a quote from one of our members on an old tread.
    The only plecs that need to eat wood are Panaques and the 'Cochliodon' group of Hypostomus

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2018
  14. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

I think all plecos are different with their appetites. The same species in one tank will eat veggie slices and in another tank they won't touch them.

I have 4 clown plecos, 2 in each tank.

I think their max size fully grown is 5" or less.

Mine readily eat slices of zucchini and cucumber. They also eat Omega One Pellets plus Ultimate Pleco Pellets and Veggie Wafers from Ken's Fish online.

15. OP
    OP
    Wickette

stopped by the petco, theyre just labeled as bristlenose plecos but they dont look like ordinary bristlenose plecos (pattern looked more like galaxy plecos than anything else I can find on google). In any case there were dead angel fish in the tank with them, and lots of dead fish in most of the tanks so Im not buying any fish from there anyway. But thank you all for the replies, its good to know I could potentially get a pleco.

16. DuaneV

I wouldnt worry too much about a dead fish in a tank. Its pretty stressful, all the travel they do, and the weaker ones wont survive. As long as the fish in the tank look healthy and you quarantine, you shouldnt have any problems. Ive bought fish out of tanks with a dead one before and had no problems. Plecos are pretty hardy.

17. OP
    OP
    Wickette

I wouldnt buy any fish from a tank that has a lot of dead/dying fish in the tank, Even if its theyre dying because the weak ones didnt make it through shipping, someone should be checking for/ and removing the dead fish every couple of hours and move the ones dying into a quarantine.
    The sad truth is petco stores are hit or miss,live stock from the bad ones should be avoided unless you plan on treating every fish you get with a series of different meds.

18. DarkOne

DarkOneWell Known MemberMember

Most plecos need driftwood so if you're not willing to put one in, don't get a pleco.

19. IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Yeah, driftwood is still on my to-do list. I agree, long term they need an appropriately balanced diet

20. philip884551

philip884551Valued MemberMember

I've got 2 bn pleco male and female with clown and yoyo loachs never had any problems been in same tank for over 2 years

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice