Pleco with Goldfish

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have 2 20 gallon tanks. Both starting to get some brown algae. One is a guppy tank with some babies and established fish. The other has 2 goldfish.
I was thinking about bristlenose pleco since I know they stay small. Assuming a bristlenose would do a good job with the guppies on the algae.
But what about the goldfish tank? They are sizable, would they be okay with one. Or does a pleco need a heated tank? If not a pleco anything else good for algae cleanup with goldfish?

OP
I

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. The temp is what I was worried about. Anything else that is cold water that would help with the algae?

this tank was not exactly a choice thing. Kids caught a goldfish at camp and they came home, surprise! I didnt even have a tank. Ran to petsmart to get something for this fish and read 20 gal was good for 1 goldfish. Carefully did a fish in cycle and 2 weeks later they came home with another fish. Stern talking no more fish and here we are...

good news is it does well. I check weekly before the 30 percent water change I do. Consistently 0 ammojia,0 nitrite and about 30 nitrate. I tried live plants to help with the nitrates but they kept pulling them out of gravel. Fish look healthy and happy and contrary to what I hear the tank stays really clean. It actually has been way easier than the guppy tank which struggled to cycle.

BlackSkirtTetra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks. The temp is what I was worried about. Anything else that is cold water that would help with the algae?
Another coldwater algae eater are loaches, but they require very good water conditions which you are not going to receive with goldfish.

My advice: You should try to clean it yourself by scrubbing regularly. It may seem a lot of work but any creature you place will make the tank dirtier with the goldfish and chemical solutions are short term and can change your water chemistry. If you want the tank to look clean and the Goldfish to remain in a stable condition it is best to just clean up the tank manually.

FinalFins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, to get rid of algae find the root of the problem. How long are your lights on? co2? ferts dosed?

My guess is that the goldies are making so much nitrates that the algae is thriving.

edit- what kind of goldfish? common or fancy? Common goldies have 1 tail fin and fancy goldies have 2 tail fin.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pleco is fine in the guppy tank but what I would do is go bare bottom on the goldfish tank and add extra filtration this will keep the tank spotless if you have a lot of flow. Then you can just clean the filter media to remove nitrates and do water changes.

OP
I

ivanjay205

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, to get rid of algae find the root of the problem. How long are your lights on? co2? ferts dosed?

My guess is that the goldies are making so much nitrates that the algae is thriving.

edit- what kind of goldfish? common or fancy? Common goldies have 1 tail fin and fancy goldies have 2 tail fin.
common goldfish. Yes the nitrates never get below 20. Hovering between 20 and 40 with weekly water changes.
The algae is not out of control. I just see it so trying to stay ahead of it.

Pleco is fine in the guppy tank but what I would do is go bare bottom on the goldfish tank and add extra filtration this will keep the tank spotless if you have a lot of flow. Then you can just clean the filter media to remove nitrates and do water changes.
I do have an internal filter now doing a surprisingly good job. I am going to switch to an awuaclear at somepoint leaving them both running for a month before removing the internal. This way I have more bioload ability. Even though its been doing fine.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think you should add anything to the tank, your overstocked as is so right now the last thing you want to do is add more bioload. If they are common goldfish they will probably be okay for a very short amount of time, but will soon get stunted. Common goldfish reach 12 inches in length and will have an extremely shortened lifespan if kept in 20 gallons. Fancy’s on the other hand may be okay for longer, but you are going to have water quality problems as they grow.

Foxxway

Valued Member
Reaction score
Goldfish are really dirty as far as urine and poopy goes. They can kill other fish with just a lot of urine in the tank. I have had tropicals in the pond with the huge goldies, but I had really good filtration, regular water changes.
Snails of all types are good at keeping algae down and trimming dead plants. I also had Oto cats in with them for awhile and they were fine.
I DO love my goofy goldfish, but I also had to realize they just need special consideration when with other tropical fish and not just bc of the temp.
During my unexpected move, I lost all my mollies and fry bc in the 2 hours it took get from where I was until I got them in the pond, they fouled the water badly. Lesson learned. They also eat shrimp, FYI, lol.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

this tank was not exactly a choice thing. Kids caught a goldfish at camp and they came home, surprise! I didnt even have a tank. Ran to petsmart to get something for this fish and read 20 gal was good for 1 goldfish. Carefully did a fish in cycle and 2 weeks later they came home with another fish. Stern talking no more fish and here we are...

good news is it does well. I check weekly before the 30 percent water change I do. Consistently 0 ammojia,0 nitrite and about 30 nitrate. I tried live plants to help with the nitrates but they kept pulling them out of gravel. Fish look healthy and happy and contrary to what I hear the tank stays really clean. It actually has been way easier than the guppy tank which struggled to cycle.
My grandson brought home a goldfish he won at the fair when he was 8, then my grand daughter (actually her dad) -the next year, brought home two more that were table decorations at a father/ daughter dance when she was 5. He's 20 now and she's 16 and they still have their fish!

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have 2 20 gallon tanks. Both starting to get some brown algae. One is a guppy tank with some babies and established fish. The other has 2 goldfish.
I was thinking about bristlenose pleco since I know they stay small. Assuming a bristlenose would do a good job with the guppies on the algae.
But what about the goldfish tank? They are sizable, would they be okay with one. Or does a pleco need a heated tank? If not a pleco anything else good for algae cleanup with goldfish?
Hello Ivan...

You can combine Goldfish with Tropicals, but the water needs to be kept extremely clean. Goldfish are heavy waste producers and their waste will certainly foul the tank water. Water temperature is also an issue. Goldfish like cool water, Tropicals like theirs warmer. 70 to 72 degrees is a good in between water temp. If you can commit to performing at least a 50 water change weekly and feed just a little variety every day or two, the two will make up a nice community tank.

Algae is controlled through clean water and not feeding the fish too much.

Old

FinalFins

Valued Member
Reaction score
No, you can't mix goldies with tropicals. Goldies are coldwater, or temerate to be exact and tropical fish are, well tropical. Their temp requirements don't match.

And for the future, you are gonna want to get a 130 gal tank if you plan to keep the goldies long term.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Fin...

I've been raising the two together for about three years. Keeping the water temperature at 70 to 72 degrees will accommodate both. A varied diet of flakes, freeze dried, pellets and Spirulina will provide the nutrients both need. As for tank size, 45 to 100 gallons for a few Goldfish and Tropicals is fine. If you choose Comets, they're not as likely to reach the size of some other Goldfish and most will remain fairly small. If you raise the two together from the beginning when the Goldfish are small, the Goldfish won't look at the Tropicals as lunch as they grow.

It can be done.

Old

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
70-72 is at the ends of their temp range. Neither plecos or goldfish do well in that range.
Hello again Fin...

If you do your research on Goldfish and Tropicals, you'll find the ideal temperature for the Goldfish is between 65 and 72 degrees. The Tropicals like their water a bit warmer between 70 and 78 degrees. I keep my tank room in my basement, so the temperature stays at between 70 and 72 degrees year round. I don't need to heat the tanks. As long as you do your research on the fishes' living requirements and set up the tank accordingly, so the environment is constant, the Goldfish and the Tropicals can live in one tank.

Old

FinalFins

Valued Member
Reaction score
thats what i mean. on the edge of the temp range. and THB goldies do best in 68.

On the other hand since you like to research goldfish temp why dont you research pleco temp? 75 is lowest i would go for a pleco.

oldsalt777

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
thats what i mean. on the edge of the temp range. and THB goldies do best in 68.

On the other hand since you like to research goldfish temp why dont you research pleco temp? 75 is lowest i would go for a pleco.
Fin...

Plecos, depending on the species, have a fairly wide range of water temperatures that will keep them in good health. Bristlenose Plecos are pretty hardy and a constant temperature between 60 and 80 degrees is fine for them. I keep this species with my Comets in tank water that's 70 degrees and they're fine. If you want to keep others with Goldfish, then research ahead of getting them is a good idea and will increase your chances for success.

Old

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom