Pleco (Want to correctly ID) Help

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by AlexAlex, Dec 10, 2012.

1. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I'm pretty sure the below picture is a Bristle Nose Pleco, but want to be absolutely certain. The guy who I ordered from said he was sending ALBINO Bristle Nose Pleco's, but I doubt they are. They're still small (around 2 to 2.5 inches).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Definitely not albino, but looks like it's one of the BN varieties.

3. OP
    OP
    A

AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, Jaysee. Do you know what "variety" it would be?

4. Jaysee

Yeah, albino fish are albino from the start.

It could be one of these 18 varieties.....

5. OP
    OP
    A

Oh wow! I'll be all month looking through that catalog! Haha

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. Jaysee

Yeah, that's the most comprehensive catfish site on the internet.

7. OP
    OP
    A

I've ran across it once before back when I bought my Pictus Cats. HUGE catalog!

8. OP
    OP
    A

I sure wish I knew what kind of BN it was. If anyone knows the specifics, then by-golly please share the information! lol

9. allaboutfish

allaboutfishWell Known MemberMember

I think its a brown. Maybe a few more close ups would help.

10. Jaysee

Not to belittle your question or desire to know, but, does it matter? I've honestly never thought about what kind of BN I have.

11. OP
    OP
    A

LoL! I got right up to the tank for that picture. That's as close as it gets! :)

12. OP
    OP
    A

Yes, to me it does. I'm OCD about the fishes I have and their ID's. :)

13. Mmbrown

MmbrownWell Known MemberMember

Mine looks just like yours! Seriously, almost identical. I got mine labeled as just a BN, and I self identified using planet catfish, but recently I've been doubting and wanted to post an ID thread. You beat me to the punch :) I'm only doubting because she has literally no bristles. She has raised nostrils but that's the extent of it. I know females have few bristles, but the "none" was throwing me off.

To me it doesn't matter, but it is still interesting to know!

Actually, wouldn't it matter for breeding purposes?

14. Jaysee

My female has no bristles whatsoever.

For breeding? I imagine they all interbreed. There is uncertainty in the classification of some fish. Plecos being one. A good example are the phantom plecos. There's the blue and the green. What's the difference? Aside from color and location they are collected (same river though), nothing really. Is that enough to be considered a new species? Some say yes, some say no. At some point, the fish becomes different enough to be considered it's own species, but that's still subjective. That's why fish are constantly being reclassified.

15. OP
    OP
    A

I agree with you, Mmbrown - In the breeding realm, I would think it would matter to some extent. But yes, I'd love to know what mine is. I have 4 of them and none of them have bristles at all that I can tell. It may be because they're only about 3 months old. Who knows!

16. Mmbrown

Thanks Jaysee, very informative. It's something I've been wondering for a while. In high school they tell you different species cannot breed to produce fertile offspring, so I was thinking that you would have to get two of the exact same BN, unless they were more breeds than species. But a quick google search says this is wrong, and a lot of species are inter fertile. I feel bad for not knowing this before- darn my bio teacher. I wish I had taken college biology courses. I love animals so much I'm upset I held on to this misinformation!

17. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Mine is a female had has no bristles as well. I didn't even know there were different kinds, besides longfins and albinos. :)

I definitely agree with Jaysee and the ambiguity of classification. I took a class on Evolution, and it brought up some interesting points. If you find a plant that looks really similar to another already known plant, how do you know if it's a new, but related species, or just a variation of the same species? Much of phylogeny is a gray area. There are many ways to classify organisms and it depends on the scientist, but some ways are geographical separation, whether or not they can interbreed, morphology, and shared phylogenetic histories.

18. OP
    OP
    A

I'm still doing some research on these plecos. Maybe I'm just spinning my wheels, but it's still interesting at least. I have an obsession with Plecos and Catfish.

Overall, I've come to the conclusion on mine - It's just a Brown Bristlenose Pleco. :)

19. Mmbrown

I self-ID'd mine to be Ancistrus tritadiatus, if that makes a difference.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice