Pleco troubles

Stevejvan

I have a yellow / golden bristlenose pleco that likes to redecorate my tank every night by digging up the substrate. Has anyone had any luck getting them to calm down?

Kade

my pleco loved to dig up the substrate and made a little cave home under my rocks. I just dealt with it. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable could help with that though to prevent it.

mimo91088

I'm by no means an expert. But I've made sure my male always has a choice between 3 ceramic caves and he's never dug up substrate.

Nessaf

Does your pleco have a cave to hide in or claim as territory? I notice that mine don’t redecorate as much since they have plenty of lairs to claim as their own.

StinkyLoaf

I have a pleco that will stop at nothing to dig to his preference. The tank he’s in often gets reshuffled around to break up aggression between his tankmates, and each time I relocate his favourite piece of driftwood, he digs underneath it to form a cave. You can see the glass at the bottom of the tank when peering into his secret hideout. The substrate is sand so the pleco creates a big hurling ball of sand when he digs. By using sand it should be easier for a pleco to rearrange the substrate than with gravel.

I’d let your pleco dig. They are just digging fish and they like to do it. When swimming they will kick up the substrate anyway so there’s not much to be done, but I wouldn’t worry as long as he is happy and healthy.

AggressiveAquatics

IME plecos only dig and try and make hiding spots are if they don’t have enough territory or not enough hiding spots

Stevejvan

mimo91088 said:
I'm by no means an expert. But I've made sure my male always has a choice between 3 ceramic caves and he's never dug up substrate.
Would you mind sharing a photo of the caves?

Neppley

I breed bristlenose plecos and have never had a problem with that. What size is your tank? Do you have enough decorations? If it is a male it may be doing that for territorial reasons.

Latest threads

Top Bottom