Pleco too big? 10 Gallon Tank 

jnb1984

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK guys. I think I'm in trouble. A year ago I bought a pleco from a pet store. I was told it was a dwarf pleco, and that it wouldn't get any bigger than 3-5 inches. Well, when I bought him, he was around 3-4". It's been a year and now he's just under 6" (I waited till he was stretched out sucking on glass to measure him - I don't know how much things are distorted thru glass and water).
In the beginning I could see the diffference as he grew. But the last couple months it seems like he's finally stopped. He's in a 10 gallon tank with a betta.
Has he stopped growing? If he's really one of those common plecos that require a 100+ tank, there's no way I can do that. I'm planning on getting a 29 in the next few months, but bigger than that's really hard to say.
What options do I have? Do pet stores adopt fish? I've moved from an other city, so they woudn't be taking their own fish back.

I'll get pics asap.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
even at 6 inches(could be a bristlenose plec) he is way tooo big for a 10 gallon...and wont make it another few months if he can barely move now if you can get a pic for us, that will help as you know
I hate pet stores that lie to make a buck grrr

jnb1984

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I kept getting errors trying to put pics in here..So I made an album in my profile. "plec to big"

and as for moving around..he does that quite easily..

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
jnb1984 said:
I kept getting errors trying to put pics in here..So I made an album in my profile. "plec to big"

and as for moving around..he does that quite easily..
yep its a common but a nice looking one
and a 6 inch fish cant move around much more in a 10 gallon tank..im surprised your water parimeters arent totally out of wack with him in there.....

jnb1984

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I usually do a 50% - 75% water change every 6-8 days. Depending on how much he eats. I tried a java fern once for my betta, it didn't take. But magically produced snails..lol so they help a bit. And I also left 2 of my old filter foams in 2 corners of the tank. I thought that might help hold more bacteria to keep the cycle going. When I get my 29 gallon. Im gonna throw those foams in there to help get it started. Is that a good idea?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes, it will, as the tank will cycle faster.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads