Pleco too big? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by jnb1984, Apr 20, 2010.

1. jnb1984New MemberMember

OK guys. I think I'm in trouble. A year ago I bought a pleco from a pet store. I was told it was a dwarf pleco, and that it wouldn't get any bigger than 3-5 inches. Well, when I bought him, he was around 3-4". It's been a year and now he's just under 6" (I waited till he was stretched out sucking on glass to measure him - I don't know how much things are distorted thru glass and water).
    In the beginning I could see the diffference as he grew. But the last couple months it seems like he's finally stopped. He's in a 10g tank with a beta.
    Has he stopped growing? If he's really one of those common plecos that require a 100+ tank, there's no way I can do that. I'm planning on getting a 29 in the next few months, but bigger than that's really hard to say.
    What options do I have? Do pet stores adopt fish? I've moved from an other city, so they woudn't be taking their own fish back.

I'll get pics asap.

2. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

even at 6 inches(could be a bristlenose plec) he is way tooo big for a 10g...and wont make it another few months if he can barely move now :( if you can get a pic for us, that will help as you know :)
    I hate pet stores that lie to make a buck grrr

3. jnb1984New MemberMember

I kept getting errors trying to put pics in here..So I made an album in my profile. "plec to big"

and as for moving around..he does that quite easily..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2010
  4. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

yep its a common :( but a nice looking one :)
    and a 6 inch fish cant move around much more in a 10g tank..im surprised your water parimeters arent totally out of wack with him in there.....

5. jnb1984New MemberMember

I usually do a 50% - 75% water change every 6-8 days. Depending on how much he eats. I tried a java fern once for my beta, it didn't take. But magically produced snails..lol so they help a bit. And I also left 2 of my old filter foams in 2 corners of the tank. I thought that might help hold more bacteria to keep the cycle going. When I get my 29g. Im gonna throw those foams in there to help get it started. Is that a good idea?

6. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Yes, it will, as the tank will cycle faster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice