Pleco Timeframe

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello.

I just got my 40B set up and running. I'm using a Penn Plax Cascade canister filter that I seeded with biomax from an established tank. Temp is 74 Fahrenheit. So far, stocking is only 8 black skirt tetras. This is serving as their quarantine.

Now my question is, when would be the best time to add a bristlenose pleco? I know it's best to go from most to least docile while stocking. I'm not sure where a BN fits on this scale though. Plus, I have to figure in it's quarantine period as well as that of the skirt tetras. I also want it to be able to take advantage of the inevitable diatoms algae that all new tanks get.

Any advice or pointers are appreciated. Oh, and I think I would prefer to get my hands on a lemon blue eyed or a super red. Standard fin either way. A starlight might be nice too. Or should I steer away from them with black substrate, black skirt tetras, and panda corys (transferring from another tank in the future)?

Thank you.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
BN plecos are not aggressive at all, at least I haven't had an issues at all with mine. I just rarely see him (mine is super shy. I see him once a week usually).

Is your tank cycled completely?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lunnietic said:
BN plecos are not aggressive at all, at least I haven't had an issues at all with mine. I just rarely see him (mine is super shy. I see him once a week usually).

Is your tank cycled completely?
Oh okay. I've just heard that they (especially males) can get a little territorial with their favorite hiding place or piece of driftwood.

On cycling, I just set the tank up and added 8 black skirt tetras last night. I had an extra pack of biomax in the HOB on an established tank. So I stuffed that into the canister filter.

I tested ammonia and nitrite tonight (ran out of chemicals for nitrates). Both, ammonia and nitrite, read 0. I have three different theories on this.

1. The pack of established media is just big enough for 8 little fish, and will continue to help seed the rest of the canister media.

2. These 8 little fish have not been able to foul the water enough to create an ammonia reading in a tank this big (40B).

3. Or, the least likely, I managed to create an instant cycle.

Any which way, I'm keeping an eye on it, and figure while I do that and quarantine the skirt tetras, I can get another quarantine out of the way too.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JLeeM said:
Oh okay. I've just heard that they (especially males) can get a little territorial with their favorite hiding place or piece of driftwood.

On cycling, I just set the tank up and added 8 black skirt tetras last night. I had an extra pack of biomax in the HOB on an established tank. So I stuffed that into the canister filter.

I tested ammonia and nitrite tonight (ran out of chemicals for nitrates). Both, ammonia and nitrite, read 0. I have three different theories on this.

1. The pack of established media is just big enough for 8 little fish, and will continue to help seed the rest of the canister media.

2. These 8 little fish have not been able to foul the water enough to create an ammonia reading in a tank this big (40B).

3. Or, the least likely, I managed to create an instant cycle.

Any which way, I'm keeping an eye on it, and figure while I do that and quarantine the skirt tetras, I can get another quarantine out of the way too.
It might be aggression towards other of their species? Haven't had more than one in the same tank. Mine lives with a schoal of corydoras, and mystery snails that often travel about where he normally hides. Haven't had an issues.

I usually QT about 4 ish weeks. (Usually anywhere between 3-8 seem to be the norm) But it is honestly up to you where you feel comfortable. But I only QT one batch from one source at a time. This way its easier for me to pick up on disease.

I did my pleco for 7 weeks. This was because I got him when he was missing a fin. I got him for free from a petsmart because of this. After I saw his fin finally starting to grow back in a little numb, I felt safe enough to move him with the other fish.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Be aware that some BN/ABN will eat small fish. My boy Beast Decided that he liked guppies so he was moved to an aquarium with no guppies and he has been fine. He is over 8 years old. They can live over 20 years.

1. Beast having lunch. 8 years old.
_MG_7052-Edit.0.jpg

2. Beast at 4 years old.
_MG_7835 copy.0.jpg

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So basically, I could start a pleco quarantine just about any time?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What all exactly should I put into a quarantine tank for a BN pleco? Besides the obvious filter and heater that is. Is bare bottom okay? Should I put a decoration or two or a piece of driftwood?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JLeeM said:
What all exactly should I put into a quarantine tank for a BN pleco? Besides the obvious filter and heater that is. Is bare bottom okay? Should I put a decoration or two or a piece of driftwood?
many people believe bare is best for QT. You could add a pleco tube to give him a home.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thunder_o_b said:
many people believe bare is best foe QT. You could add a pleco tube to give him a home.
Would something like this work for that? Or a terracotta pot?
IMG_20180515_190424154_HDR.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom