Question Pleco seems sick! New to the site!

Lee88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

Im new to the site and have had my tank for about 2 months now.

I have had a sailfin pleco for a month now and have just added another this week.

My problem is for the past 2 days, my original pleco has started to float belly up on the surface and seems to slide up the side of the tank when its sucking the glass!

If anyone can help on this that would be great!

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
PH 7.6

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
welcome to fl.

I think sailfin plecos get quite large... your tank is too small for him.

I think we need more description of the symptoms to help...

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Your profile indicates your tank size is only 100L. That is too small for a single pleco, let alone two. I believe a sailfin pleco should be in a tank that is more than 200L (55 gallon).

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lee, i was just reading up on sailfin plecos, and apparently, they are very aggressive toward their own kind and shouldn't be placed in a tank together.

Lee88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for all your replys, i bought some plecostomus tablet food today and he seems to be eating fine. He also has stopped floating towards the surface and doesnt seem to be floating on the surface either so i think it may have been down to me not feeding him the right food! seems much better now!

I didnt quarantine him before i put him in the tank, but he was fine for a long while before he started to show signs of being ill.

Also regarding the tank size, i am looking at getting a larger tank at some point, just need to find space for it!

Ive read that they are aggressive but these two seem fine together, even eating in the same area together with no problems.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!
If my calculations are correct you have a 25g tank. Plecos are huge waste producers especially P. gibbiceps which is what a sailfin is. They get at least 17 inches and are very aggressive to their own.
They need lots of vegetable matter. Peas, zucchini,cucumbers etc. and as they get older they need some protein. Mine loves shrimp pellets about once a week, too much pretein and they can become constipated and exhibit the symptoms you described (maybe he ate alot of the other fishes food?)
Hope that helps.
carol

Lee88

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the info Carol, they dont seem to be aggressive at the moment but i have read that as they grow older they become more aggressive!

I have started to feed him cucumber and also the tablets i described earlier so i will carry on with the veggies.

Thats right, all he had before was the other fish food so im guessing that what caused the problem, his tomach was also bloated! But as i say he seems much better now, i think the new food may have unblocked him!

Thanks again all your info will be usefull!

Lee

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom