Pleco Racing Around Tank

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone. I have a bristle nose pleco in my 75 gallon tank. Everything has been good for months and my water parameters are good. This evening I noticed my pleco racing around the tank following the four walls. He's been doing this for about 20 minutes. I've never seen him act like this before. I also have a zebra danio in the same tank that has been swimming on it's side for a couple of days but it is several years old. Any ideas?

Hunterhusker

Valued Member
Reaction score
sylviepld said:
Hi everyone. I have a bristle nose pleco in my 75 gallon tank. Everything has been good for months and my water parameters are good. This evening I noticed my pleco racing around the tank following the four walls. He's been doing this for about 20 minutes. I've never seen him act like this before. I also have a zebra danio in the same tank that has been swimming on it's side for a couple of days but it is several years old. Any ideas?
My pleco does this sometimes. Not for 20 minutes though. I am really good with plecos, so if you have any ideas pop in your head I can hopefully help you.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My snowball pleco decides he wants to turn the tank into the indy 500 when i shut the lights off LOL. sits still for 12-16 hours then once lights off he goes mental. Dudes a goofball

Hunterhusker

Valued Member
Reaction score
snowballPLECO said:
My snowball pleco decides he wants to turn the tank into the indy 500 when i shut the lights off LOL. sits still for 12-16 hours then once lights off he goes mental. Dudes a goofball
Just put my bn into a new tank no idea how he managed but he uprooted my baby java fern moved it to the other side of the tank and replanted it. He hates change, and the weirdest part is thats where it was in the old tank. Im frustrated with him rn.

snowballPLECO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hunterhusker said:
Just put my bn into a new tank no idea how he managed but he uprooted my baby java fern moved it to the other side of the tank and replanted it. He hates change, and the weirdest part is thats where it was in the old tank. Im frustrated with him rn.
Yeah my pleco doesn’t like change either, when i upgraded my tank, I had to put my driftwood in the SAME exact angle and position otherwise he’d be mad and sulk like a child

Hunterhusker

Valued Member
Reaction score
snowballPLECO said:
Yeah my pleco doesn’t like change either, when i upgraded my tank, I had to put my driftwood in the SAME exact angle and position otherwise he’d be mad and sulk like a child
Mine finally ate again after like 3 days in the new tank, he is still sulking though haha. He definitely is a child.

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Im jealous that you guys see your pleco enough to notice these things. I see mine once a week amd as soon as I get close to the tank he hides!

sylviepld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for your input everyone. It makes me feel better to know that it's probably just a funny quirk of behavior!

Hunterhusker

Valued Member
Reaction score
sylviepld said:
Thanks for your input everyone. It makes me feel better to know that it's probably just a funny quirk of behavior!
Well I'd still watch him it may be signs of stress. I wouldn't rule out it being a quirk but I'd just watch him.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom