Pleco Questions

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Ethan30, May 16, 2019.

1. Ethan30

Ethan30Valued MemberMember

Hi, I have heard Pleco must be fed at night. Is this true?

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

No, it isn't. I'm not even convinced they're mostly nocturnal.

3. OP
    OP
    Ethan30

Sorry about all the threads, just have lots of questions. So do I need to secure the lid for the Pleco more than just the cover? Saw they might jump out. I have a baby one with a ten gallon tank, how long can it stay there? Any feeding advice besides giving fish flakes and cucumbers chopped up.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
  4. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomezValued MemberMember

Hello, you only need to feed at night if tankmates are stealing its food & you think he's not getting enough to eat. Hope this helps!

5. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

I used to just keep wedges of zucchini or squash in the tank constantly. Fresh veggies don't decompose as quickly as blanched ones.

If there were veggies available, the pleco would constantly hang out on them and eat until just the peel was left.

6. Princethepurplebetta

PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

What type of pleco do you have?

I have a bn in my 90 and in my 50 and theyve never tried to jump out. I feed cucumber, algae waffers, and brine shrimp :)

7. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Yep, mine go after cucumber and wafers during the day.

8. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

My pleco likes Raw squash slices, blanched broccoli (boiled for 1 minute) and dried seaweed (you can get it at the fish store). You don't need to chop the veggies, just slice them 1/4 inch thick or drop whole broccoli florets in there.

9. Victoria99

Victoria99Valued MemberMember

Then why does everything always say blanched? Cause doing fresh would certainly be easier

10. Coptapia

CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

It’s a common misconception that plecs need soft mushy veg. Actually they don’t, and many prefer it before it has softened. And it lasts longer unblanched, so not as much waste...

11. mperkins21

mperkins21Valued MemberMember

I had a rubberlip pleco and he never ate during the day let alone come out but it turns out he was sick and had ich and spread it to my whole tank and soon died, but its all gone and i have an albino bn and he is always out eating.

12. Feohw

FeohwWell Known MemberMember

My pleco definitely doesn't come out during the day let alone eat. If yours comes out definitely feed it and enjoy seeing it do its thing.

13. Michael.j.gomez

Some people will blanch vegetables so they sink & stay on bottom. I found this unnecessary. I fashioned a piece of stanless into hook(freezer thermometer mount), sanded sharp edges, points & attached some fishing line to it so I dont have to stick arm in tank. Hope this helps! 1558100148223.jpg20190517_073610.jpg

14. Momgoose56

Blanched broccoli sinks. Raw broccoli floats. Blanched broccoli florets are easier for my fry to nibble on. Plus, my snails will eat blanched broccoli right away, they won't touch raw broccoli until it's set in the tank 2 or 3 days, by that time, it's getting slimy. Blanched broccoli, in my tanks, is gone in 24 hours, raw broccoli mallingers for days if I leave it in. THAT'S why I blanch broccoli. It's the only veggie I recommend be blanched. Blanched, NOT cooked-it's still essentially raw at the core. There's a difference.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  15. OP
    OP
    Ethan30

Thanks everyone, also he hasn’t been going for the leftover food in the tank should I feed him at night flakes, just a veggie and the algae dose the rest. He is always on the side of my tank. Will he venture and eat the flakes eventually? Also most importantly, how long can he go without eating? There isn’t really any algae as this is a new tank.

Basically what do I feed him other than what I normally do. He is also very small so any idea of how big of pieces of veggies I throw out

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
  16. Momgoose56

There are commercial algae wafers made especially for plecos. Give him that in addition to veggies. I like Omega 1 veggie rounds-available online, at Chewy.com, and in many fish stores. It says for "herbivores" but does contain Salmon, Halibut, Herring, Shrimp and Krill as well Kelp and Spirulina.

1558117724729656137672198188625.jpg

17. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

I have a clown pleco that I got last Saturday and I have yet to see him during the day. He just hangs out in his cave all day, and he definitely only eats at night.

18. Victoria99

Victoria99Valued MemberMember

Broccoli IS a veggie, so I'm confused.
    Wait. I thought blanching was where you boil it, right?

Dude, that's genius!

So Plecos are omnivores. Why is it then, that you can only buy algae wafers and you're supposed to give them vegetables? How much protein do they need? How do I feed it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
  19. FreshwaterCentral

FreshwaterCentralNew MemberMember

Humans are omnivores too and yet vegetarians don't die. Fairly similar principal.

However, plecos can often get the meat they need and stuff from fish food drifting down to the bottom of the aquarium.

20. Michael.j.gomez