Pleco Questions

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, it isn't. I'm not even convinced they're mostly nocturnal.

OP
Ethan30

Ethan30

Well Known
Reaction score
Sorry about all the threads, just have lots of questions. So do I need to secure the lid for the Pleco more than just the cover? Saw they might jump out. I have a baby one with a ten gallon tank, how long can it stay there? Any feeding advice besides giving fish flakes and cucumbers chopped up.

scarface said:
No, it isn't. I'm not even convinced they're mostly nocturnal.
Thanks for the advice.

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, you only need to feed at night if tank mates are stealing its food & you think he's not getting enough to eat. Hope this helps!

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I used to just keep wedges of zucchinI or squash in the tank constantly. Fresh veggies don't decompose as quickly as blanched ones.

If there were veggies available, the pleco would constantly hang out on them and eat until just the peel was left.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
Sorry about all the threads, just have lots of questions. So do I need to secure the lid for the Pleco more than just the cover? Saw they might jump out. I have a baby one with a ten gallon tank, how long can it stay there? Any feeding advice besides giving fish flakes and cucumbers chopped up.

Thanks for the advice.
My pleco likes Raw squash slices, blanched broccolI (boiled for 1 minute) and dried seaweed (you can get it at the fish store). You don't need to chop the veggies, just slice them 1/4 inch thick or drop whole broccolI florets in there.

Victoria99

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fahn said:
I used to just keep wedges of zucchinI or squash in the tank constantly. Fresh veggies don't decompose as quickly as blanched ones.

If there were veggies available, the pleco would constantly hang out on them and eat until just the peel was left.
Then why does everything always say blanched? Cause doing fresh would certainly be easier

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Victoria99 said:
Then why does everything always say blanched? Cause doing fresh would certainly be easier
It’s a common misconception that plecs need soft mushy veg. Actually they don’t, and many prefer it before it has softened. And it lasts longer unblanched, so not as much waste...

mperkins21

Reaction score
I had a rubberlip pleco and he never ate during the day let alone come out but it turns out he was sick and had ich and spread it to my whole tank and soon died, but its all gone and I have an albino bn and he is always out eating.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My pleco definitely doesn't come out during the day let alone eat. If yours comes out definitely feed it and enjoy seeing it do its thing.

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Victoria99 said:
Some people will blanch vegetables so they sink & stay on bottom. I found this unnecessary. I fashioned a piece of stanless into hook(freezer thermometer mount), sanded sharp edges, points & attached some fishing line to it so I don't have to stick arm in tank. Hope this helps!
1558100148223.jpg
20190517_073610.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Victoria99 said:
Blanched broccolI sinks. Raw broccolI floats. Blanched broccolI florets are easier for my fry to nibble on. Plus, my snails will eat blanched broccolI right away, they won't touch raw broccolI until it's set in the tank 2 or 3 days, by that time, it's getting slimy. Blanched broccoli, in my tanks, is gone in 24 hours, raw broccolI mallingers for days if I leave it in. THAT'S why I blanch broccoli. It's the only veggie I recommend be blanched. Blanched, NOT cooked-it's still essentially raw at the core. There's a difference.

OP
Ethan30

Ethan30

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, also he hasn’t been going for the leftover food in the tank should I feed him at night flakes, just a veggie and the algae dose the rest. He is always on the side of my tank. Will he venture and eat the flakes eventually? Also most importantly, how long can he go without eating? There isn’t really any algae as this is a new tank.

Basically what do I feed him other than what I normally do. He is also very small so any idea of how big of pieces of veggies I throw out

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ethan30 said:
Thanks everyone, also he hasn’t been going for the leftover food in the tank should I feed him at night flakes, just a veggie and the algae dose the rest. He is always on the side of my tank. Will he venture and eat the flakes eventually? Also most importantly, how long can he go without eating? There isn’t really any algae as this is a new tank.

Basically what do I feed him other than what I normally do. He is also very small so any idea of how big of pieces of veggies I throw out
There are commercial algae wafers made especially for plecos. Give him that in addition to veggies. I like Omega 1 veggie rounds-available online, at chewy, and in many fish stores. It says for "herbivores" but does contain Salmon, Halibut, Herring, Shrimp and Krill as well Kelp and Spirulina.

1558117724729656137672198188625.jpg

Victoria99

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Momgoose56 said:
Blanched broccolI sinks. Raw broccolI floats. Blanched broccolI florets are easier for my fry to nibble on. Plus, my snails will eat blanched broccolI right away, they won't touch raw broccolI until it's set in the tank 2 or 3 days, by that time, it's getting slimy. Blanched broccoli, in my tanks, is gone in 24 hours, raw broccolI mallingers for days if I leave it in. THAT'S why I blanch broccoli. It's the only veggie I recommend be blanched. Blanched, NOT cooked-it's still essentially raw at the core. There's a difference.
BroccolI IS a veggie, so I'm confused.
Wait. I thought blanching was where you boil it, right?

Michael.j.gomez said:
Some people will blanch vegetables so they sink & stay on bottom. I found this unnecessary. I fashioned a piece of stanless into hook(freezer thermometer mount), sanded sharp edges, points & attached some fishing line to it so I don't have to stick arm in tank. Hope this helps!
1558100148223.jpg
20190517_073610.jpg
Dude, that's genius!

So Plecos are omnivores. Why is it then, that you can only buy algae wafers and you're supposed to give them vegetables? How much protein do they need? How do I feed it?

FreshwaterCentral

Reaction score
Victoria99 said:
So Plecos are omnivores. Why is it then, that you can only buy algae wafers and you're supposed to give them vegetables? How much protein do they need? How do I feed it?
Humans are omnivores too and yet vegetarians don't die. Fairly similar principal.

However, plecos can often get the meat they need and stuff from fish food drifting down to the bottom of the aquarium.