Pleco questions.

1. Skippy Initiate Member

Hi, i'm new and i have a few questions. Im thinking about getting a plecostomus for my 30 gallon tank. I've had the tank for about two weeks now and i see algae growth on fake plants. Brown algae. Anyway, i upgraded from a 10 gallon to what i have now. Since that time i've gone through two plecos. They died usually within a month. (I don't want this guy to die the same way) Now i know about problems with the nitrogen cylcle ect. but is it too early to add him/her? And if i do and i get those "algae wafers" How often should i feed the little bugger? (I plan to buy a small one)

P.S. If you are wondering i have goldfish but since this new tank came with a heater, i can keep it at a constant temp. which is comfortable for everyone. I have accepted the risk of growing a giant 1000000 foot catfish turd suck the slime coating from my fish. They never did last time.

2. FishFan Member Member

I also went through 2 Plecos when I started my tank, but since it's been a few months, the 2 I have now are doing great. I feed 2 algae wafers a night-my 2 Plecos are medium sized (between 4-8"). Also-a full grown Pleco can grow to more than 18", so keep that in mind. Good Luck to you & welcome to FishLore, enjoy your visit & visit often!!

3. Skippy Initiate Member

Thank you. So i guess the general rule of thumb (man i say stupid stuff when it gets late at night) is one algae disk a day. Ill read the package closely when i get it. Thanks again!

4. FishFan Member Member

I know others who don't feed any, but I'd feel too guilty not feeding them any!!! Plus, one is much larger than the other, so he would be able to out eat (to death) the other one, so I make sure to feed enough. Keep us updated :)

5. Skippy Initiate Member

UPDATE: I just got him today and along with a few other fish. I also got a package of algae wafers. Put one in and one of the goldfish, which is clearly larger and faster found it and eventually pushed it into a corner he couldn't get into. Hehe. The new pleco quickly swam over when the coast was clear and started to eat. The only other fish since then that has got to it was my golden dojo loach. But he didn't stay long. Ate a bit and left. The disk in relation to him was..par say....a hard pizza. So now the pleco has it and i think this fish will last alot longer. :)

6. Sonny FishFan Initiate Member

i have two pleco one small black and one normal in a 25 gallon tank also in the tank are
    2 angel
    3 guppies
    9 cardinals
    2 silver sharks
    3 picto catfish
    1 elephant nose fish
    whenever i feed algae wafers all the other fish consume them before my pleco can even though at the same time i feed them some bloodworm to try to keep them occupied my pleco do seem happy in the tank they keep themselves attached to the side of the glass i am wondering if they are getting enough food

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Skippy,
    Unless you used bio spira or borrowed some media from another tank, your tank is probably not cycled. Pleco's don't do well in a tank that is not cycled, and with the addition of even more fish, you are gonna have to pay close attention to your ammonia and nitrite levels. If you don't already have tests for these, you need them right away. You should test daily, and be prepared to do daily water changes on that tank until it's cycled. I suggest you get an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit which includes these tests along with a test for ph and nitrates. Big Al's is the cheapest I've seen this kits online:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19383;category_id=3111;pcid1=3233;pcid2=

Also, plecos that are just labeled plecos in the store are probably common plecos which can get sometimes 18 inches long! It will fit in your tank, but it is really way too large at that size for a 30 gal. tank. The bristlenose plecos are perfect for your size tank, and only get between 4 and 6 inches long. You can find a lot of different types of bristlenose catfish on