Pleco questions

1. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

Hello all, new to the forum, am wondering if anyone can help I have 2 common plecos in my tank, I have read they can become agressive when mature, however I belive at least one of them is mature; sizes 12" (rescued) and 7-8" introduced into my new huge tank bought for them. At the moment they are getting along great but am unsure if one is still a jouvinile, any advise appreciated. Thanks

2. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You sadly can't. Not even 1 pleco will hold in your 55 gal once full grown. You could maybe make a pond and put them in their once they get bigger:)
    Edit: wait how big is your tank?

3. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

It's not 55 gallon, It's over twice that size

Tank size is approx 130g

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions?

5. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

5' x 2' x 2'

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Depending on the species of common pleco, that tank may be okay. Can you attach pics of them?

7. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

[​IMG]

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

130gal, you can keep one at the most. They produce a lot of poop, so I hope you have a good filtration system.

9. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

Over filtering and clean the sand base regularly as it sits on top, question is has the smaller of the 2 reached maturity it's 3yrs old

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It might be stunted. hampalong any idea? Or would closer pics help?

11. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

It's still growing, I was wondering if they were going to disagree if they would have by now or if there is a strong liklihood of it happening later on

12. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

The big one is P. joselimaianus, the small one is P. multiradiatus, and possibly not big enough to be mature (maturity in fish is often a combination of age and size).

The reason the big one isn't territorial is probably because the small one can't realistically compete with it for food or shelter, so it isn't a threat.

13. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

Thankyou, So if they get closer in size will there be more likely Ness of the 2 fighting of is it only if there is insufficient food and they have to compete?

14. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Well the big one won't grow much more, but the smaller one, if it does grow, could grow to be twice the size of the big one, so anything could happen. If there is aggression it will be from the big one towards the other one as it approaches a similar size.

The amount of food will be irrelevant, they don't understand the concept of sharing. All food that goes into the tank will belong to the dominant one, if the smaller one becomes a threat.

How long have you had them? If they're new there could be aggression as soon as they settle and the big one realises it's onto a good thing....

15. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

They have been together since late may in the new tank since early June purchased for the fish, advise from a shop on size etc but failed to mention about plecos not mixing well

The large pleco has been in a friends old tank for years was very cramped and the smaller we have had for 3 years in a 30g tank, bought it knowing it would need an upgrade, but came a bit quicker with the rescue

16. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It might not grow much more then. They can easily be approaching 18" at three years old.

17. aaron0g Well Known Member Member

It's always had plenty of food can they stop growing that early? I am hoping we can keep them both and the fish looks much healthier since its move to my house, they are often on the glass or sand next to each other

[​IMG]

18. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

It could have eaten a lot more (no offence meant, there's nothing wrong with it). They eat high protein foods aswell as veg-based, and they have an insatiable appetite. In a bigger tank with plenty of water changes and more food it would have grown more. The body behind the pectoral fins should be as wide as the head in a well fed plec. :)