Pleco Question

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by xxSTEPHENSxx, Mar 29, 2010.

1. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

*This is Jaime's Husband*

Ok so I bought a Clown Pleco on my way home yesterday. It hasn't even been 24 hours and the tank is full of what looks like crap to me. I have a 55gal tank and there is "crap" every where. Now I knew they had a lot of waste before I bought him but this is absolutly crazy. I would die if I pooped that much.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

That's Plecos for you. :) It's even worse if you have sand as a substrate!! At least you have a Pleco that will stay small, the bigger ones really make a mess.

3. OP
    OP
    x

I do have sand... :(

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

I feel sorry for you. I'll bet you start doing more frequent water changes now simply because you can't stand the sight of the tank. At least your water quality will be really good. I had a 10" Pleco in my 180gal with white sand & I had to clean it every 3 days because of the huge piles of poo everywhere. Just another of the many reasons I don't like sand substrates. Your either going to have to learn to tolerate the mess, (which will only get worse as the Pleco gets bigger), do more frequent vaccuuming to remove the mess or switch to a gravel substrate.

5. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yep real waste machines. That's completely normal :) Their digestive tracts are almost straight. That's why they can be eating and pooping at the same time. Alot of their food comes through incompletely digested.
    Carol

6. OP
    OP
    x

Ok well I am thinking of selling the little guy or just taking him back and taking the $10 loss. I really won't have any algae anyway because of the plants (i think). Or if anyone on here wants him... just pay shipping I will be glad to pass him a long.

I did see some neat upside down catfish that I liked. I will just go get a couple of those guys.

Thanks for the info guys and if you know anyone that wants the little guy just PM me.

7. jersey

jersey Valued Member Member

i just realized the same thing tonight. and my bristlenose is about an inch long maybe a little longer. its crazy the amount of poop that showed up in 24 hours.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They eat driftwood and will starve to death without it. Not all plecos eat algae.

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jamie's Husband,

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Catfish/Pleco section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

10. OP
    OP
    x

I have a piece a driftwood... and more on the way thanks to harpua!

11. OP
    OP
    x

No problem at all thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice