Pleco Problem?

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Jessica A Scripter, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Jessica A Scripter

Jessica A Scripter New Member Member

30 gallon. clear blue filtration. ID, 2 angels, 3 tetras, guppy, Molly (cuz one died two weeks ago), dwarf frog, zig zag eel (tiny), pleco (just died).
    7.0 pH 78-82° zero ammonia. Don't test nitrites/ates
    6 month old tank. Lightly planted.
    20% changes once a week.
    One angel growing quickly. ID shark doubled in size the last month.
    Molly died. No visual signs of problems physically or otherwise. Fine.. five minutes later dead.
    A week later my pleco starts acting odd. Hardly moving and not eating his wafers. A week after that he is upside down bottom of tank. I flip him over, he's not swimming away but alive. I quarantined him and ten hours later he's alive but upside down again. I flip him over and he moves around a little. Few hours later he is dead and turning white.. tank problem? Disease? Random Molly death and starved pleco from lack of veggies? Overcrowding?

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

I think it may be due to an overstocked tank, too small water changes, and high nitrates. If this is a common pleco it would be far too large for a 30gal anyways. Does the ID shark mean iridescent shark? If so, that will grow far too large as well as they easily reach upwards of 2ft. I wouldn't be keeping the angels in anything less than a 40gal breeder, perhaps one is ok in a 30gal but 2 is too many. Plecos shouldn't be surviving on just wafers, they need their veggies every couple of days. It's possible it starved but I still think nitrates could be the issue. With the stocking you have I'd be doing at least 50% water changes every week.

3. Sillyjady

Sillyjady New Member Member

With overcrowding and new tanks; testing your nitrites/nitrates will be crucial to help you determine when and how much on your water changes.

Also the compatibility of a lot of your fish is very questionable. Mollies and guppies being live bearers will need a small amount of aquarium salt to thrive. Angels are aggressive and territorial and unless they are a mating pair will soon out grow their patience for tank mates and each other in a 30gal. Pleco will prefer wooded tanks (lower ph), angels prefer heavy with plants, guppies/mollies salted and higher ph.

But test your water for the full spectrum, and watch for signs on other fish to start, best of luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice