Pleco problem

1. Sydnieschwenk Initiate Member

I currently have a 36 gallon tank with 4 rosy barbs and 2 rainbow sharks. I have algae in my tank and whenever I buy an algae eater it dies. I have gone through 4 of them and they all die without warning, like the last one I had was fine and healthy looking yesterday but was dead today. I tested my water and GH was 180, KH -120, Ph-7.5, NO2-0, and NO3 was 40. Why is this happening?):

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I hate to answer a question that was not asked, but even one rainbow in a 36 is a problem. Two is a disaster in the making.

As for your actual question, what kind of algae eater? I do see that the nitrate is a tad high.

3. Sydnieschwenk Initiate Member

Ya I'm working on rehousing one of the rainbow sharks but it was a rubber nose pleco

4. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

Without meaning any disrespect at all, if it is the just simply the algae that forms on the glass that concerns you, the best control of it is you, yourself, armed only with a scrubby or the like--you will do a far better job, and in all likelihood you live to tell the tale:). Assuming that I have a point, that point would probably be just do a scrub as part of routine tank maintenance.
    As to your plecs dieing, I have no idea, they are generally quite hardy creatures.
    Best of luck, rick
    I do apologize for the brevity of this post, but I do rather fancy myself an expert fan of the worst movies even made, meaning that Ed Wood, Jr is my idol, and I simply cannot ignore the fact the Sharkanado is shortly to begin, where apparently a tornado not only picks up several thousand people eating sharks, and, of all places, drops them upon L.A., , where, I am only guessing, the lawyers eventually fight them to a split decision.
    My understanding is that no rainbow sharks were injured in the filming of this movie.

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

6. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

I see the problem. Rubberlip plecos aren't really algae eaters. They do eat algae, but they need to be fed sinking pellets in order to maintain health. They are also not going to eat all kinds of algae. I only ever saw mine eat green fuzz on my driftwood.

So if you're talking about diatoms, get yourself a nerite or two, or a good old-fashioned algae cleaning wand.

7. Sydnieschwenk Initiate Member

Thank you all for your great advice

8. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Any pleco cannot mainly survive off of the algae in your fish tank, your slowly starving the pleco. They need sinking algae wafers, and every week they should have fresh vegetables in the form of sliced cucumbers, zucchini, squash, etc... You'll be surprised how long they will live with favorable conditions! ;)

My parents had a 12 year old common pleco, and when they gave their tank away he was still happy as could be!

9. Jamie Boshier Member Member

I'm by no means an experienced fish keeper. But it's very quick to just manage the Algae yourself. You don't have an unhealthy tank as algae only grows in a healthy tank. I literally use an old credit card and it comes right off the glass.

Jamie

10. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

My idea of an old credit card is one that has visited Big Al's once too often:)--------rick